Banana peppers

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
How long will they keep in the fridge? I have a load of them, but want to pickle them. I've ordered my water bath canning kit but it won't be in until next week. Will they keep until then?

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am trying to remember the rule about peppers.... I think that really cold temps are not great for them. I think you are supposed to keep them on the top shelf of the frig which is warmer then the bottom. My mind is not having a good day today. Sorry.

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They should keep just fine. Put them in a paper bag or if a plastic bag leave it open so moisture doesn't condense inside the bag. I have kept them in the crisper, top shelf, bottom shelf...anywhere there was room to stuff them in. You are going to get to break that new canner in pretty quick! Oh! and share the recipe with us please! :)

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
bid said:
They should keep just fine. Put them in a paper bag or if a plastic bag leave it open so moisture doesn't condense inside the bag. I have kept them in the crisper, top shelf, bottom shelf...anywhere there was room to stuff them in. You are going to get to break that new canner in pretty quick! Oh! and share the recipe with us please! :)
Ok great! I have a bunch in my crisper and a lot more to be picked in the next couple of days.

I'm a newbie canner - I've never canned a thing in my life, but I'm excited about it! I bought the canning kit on-line at Walmart along with some jars. I found a recipe on the internet:

10-cups banana or jalapeno peppers
2-cloves garlic
4-cups white vinegar
2-tsp pickling salt

If anyone has a better one, please post it for me! :)

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
They will NOT keep. Please send them north and I'll fix them up for you.
I'd even send you a pint or two. I just hate the way you warm climate people glote over what you can harvest this early.
I just planted my peppers today.
Good luck with you new canner.

THANX RICH

Kim_NC

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I use this one:

Pickled Hot Pepper Rings (or Whole Peppers) - printable version available at link

2 lb. hot peppers (banana, Hungarian wax, jalapeno, etc)
2 Tbsp. canning/pickling salt
1 c. white vinegar
1 c. water

Slice peppers into rings. For a milder product, seed peppers first (slice in half lengthwise and remove seeds and membrane). Use rubber gloves when handling hot peppers. You can also use whole peppers. Cut a 1 inch slit in each whole pepper if you're not seeding them.

Combine vinegar, water and salt to make a brine. Bring to a boil. Pack peppers into sterilized pint or half pint jars. Fill jars with hot brine, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Process 10 minutes in boiling water bath.

Allow peppers to stand in jars 2-3 weeks to develop flavor.

For a sweet-hot variation, omit salt and use 1/4 cup sugar.

dickiebird said:
...... I just hate the way you warm climate people glote over what you can harvest this early.

THANX RICH
Rich - We have green tomatoes the size of golf balls and are starting to pick squash and cucumbers by this weekend. This morning we'll be off to pick cherries at a neighboring orchard. :tools

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
dickiebird said:
They will NOT keep. Please send them north and I'll fix them up for you.
I'd even send you a pint or two. I just hate the way you warm climate people glote over what you can harvest this early.

THANX RICH
:yuckyuck :lol:

Thanks Kim!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Southern Gardener said:
How long will they keep in the fridge? I have a load of them, but want to pickle them. I've ordered my water bath canning kit but it won't be in until next week. Will they keep until then?
I used to grow Peter peppers for pickling. They are a pretty good tasting semi hot pepper but nothing was funnier than to send a pint of "Pickled Peters" to a bridal shower of batchelor party.

tifsgarden

Leafing Out
Reaction score
hoodat said:
Southern Gardener said:
I used to grow Peter peppers for pickling. They are a pretty good tasting semi hot pepper but nothing was funnier than to send a pint of "Pickled Peters" to a bridal shower of batchelor party.
Very Funny....
I'll have to remember that the next time someone orders a "special batchelorette party cakes and cookies".

Latest posts