Basil and bugs

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I saw this today and thought I'd share it.

nobugs.JPG

TR Herb Garden.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought you would say something about earwigs and slugs, Jack. I could also question the author's idea of "tasty." I just want basil's flavor on ... well ... everything :). Discovering it about 30 years ago was something of a gift.

Of course, I would never pick up a fresh sprig and chew on it. Whoa! To much of that wonderful flavor.

If bugs are repelled, what about these guys?
https://www.almanac.com/pest/earwigs
There is a picture of what they do to basil in that article. I've already applied slug bait once or twice and just bought a new box. Spinosad to keep the earwigs away went on about a week ago.

If anything is gonna enjoy my basil it's gonna be me! I'm selfish that way ...

:) Steve

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve,
Thank God we don't have earwigs indoors! Also, with hydroponics there is no dirt!!

Here is another plant for the indoor war on bugs:

Dianthus – It seems that insects abhor the spicy clove scent of cottage pinks as much as we love it.

A big plus is that in a few weeks it will covered in flowers. The plant is growing hydroponically and drinks pretty much the entire container every day. It is a dwarf variety with mixed colors in the container.

Oh, the joy of being retired!

dianthus.jpg

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
One quick warning, this does NOT work with regards to Tree/Clove basil (Ocinum granitissimum) and whitefly. Tree basil is a whitefly MAGNET. Back when I had a plant, it would get terminal whitefly every year (Tree basil is perennial as opposed to the normal kind, so you can keep the same plant through the years if you take it in for the winter) so bad that the spring was spent dropping all of its leaves and growing new ones. And of course this whitefly would then go on to infect all my OTHER houseplants.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
bees of all types love when basil goes to flower......

love the smell when you let hand run through it...

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Even Miss Ava is into growing basil for the kitchen because she loves to cook. She has been naming her plants since she was tiny so, Penelope went home with her but Penny and Bob are still here in my care until they get a little bigger. I guess I'm sort of a day care for plants. :)

Penny.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts