Basil

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'd like everyone to know that I used the saran wrap idea and put the pot on top of the fridge and it only took 2 days to get my basil sprouted!

Thank you!!!

swampducks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
How do you keep the bugs from eating holes in the leaves? Last time I grew basil the leaves were pockmarked. Very annoying. Haven't grown it since.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
swampducks said:
How do you keep the bugs from eating holes in the leaves? Last time I grew basil the leaves were pockmarked. Very annoying. Haven't grown it since.
Sounds as though it may have been flea beetles. The first flush of flea beetles occurs as the ground warms in Spring. If you wait to direct seed until the first generation finishes you get a lot less damage. Flea beetles come in flushes and if you can catch an in between time you can usually get them far enough along so the seedlings can take it. Normally flea beetle damge lessens in late Spring and early Summer. They seem to like cool damp weather best.

swampducks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
hoodat said:
swampducks said:
Sounds as though it may have been flea beetles. The first flush of flea beetles occurs as the ground warms in Spring. If you wait to direct seed until the first generation finishes you get a lot less damage. Flea beetles come in flushes and if you can catch an in between time you can usually get them far enough along so the seedlings can take it. Normally flea beetle damge lessens in late Spring and early Summer. They seem to like cool damp weather best.
Interesting, never heard of them, thanks for the info. So perhaps if I wait till late June? Can't wait too long, short season this far north.