Basil

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Some of the finer seeds have to lie on top of the soil and need light to germinate. You would have to cover your margarine tubs with clear plastic for those.

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The Mama Chicken said:
sparkles2307 said:
I have some old barnwood from my Gpa in Wyoming, its been dry aging in his yard for years, not rotten at all. I'm going to do those mason jar wall planter things with a few planks and try to have a large indoor herb garden year round.
I have seen those, I worry that they don't have any drainage. If you have a glass drill bit you could drill a couple of holes in the bottom it might work, but then it would drip on the floor. I think they are pretty but not very feasible.
I've grown herbs in un-drained pots before, with marbles in the bottom, and they did great. Esp the cilantro and chives.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
hoodat said:
Some of the finer seeds have to lie on top of the soil and need light to germinate. You would have to cover your margarine tubs with clear plastic for those.
I had that problem with my marjoram. I forgot about that and covered them. Got nothin.... got out my organic garden book, put them into completely clear container with a clear lid and presto got plants.

Marjoram001.jpg

One of the containers is from the deli and the other is from parmesan cheese. I normally buy my parmesan ungrated but luckily they were out and I got the great container. I did have clear lids on them but now that they are growing well I took them off. Hoodat's right some seeds do need light to sprout.

PS: Notice I said that this is my second planting of marjoram. It's OK to have to start over. And look at how great my plants look now, who cares that it took a month. Had to replant my lemon basil too. It was because I had used old seeds. Just relax and have fun with it.

r4eboxer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
HunkieDorie23 said:
hoodat said:
I had that problem with my marjoram. I forgot about that and covered them. Got nothin.... got out my organic garden book, put them into completely clear container with a clear lid and presto got plants.

http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo173/Teresa_lyn23/Marjoram001.jpg

One of the containers is from the deli and the other is from parmesan cheese. I normally buy my parmesan ungrated but luckily they were out and I got the great container. I did have clear lids on them but now that they are growing well I took them off. Hoodat's right some seeds do need light to sprout.

PS: Notice I said that this is my second planting of marjoram. It's OK to have to start over. And look at how great my plants look now, who cares that it took a month. Had to replant my lemon basil too. It was because I had used old seeds. Just relax and have fun with it.
I actually went to my grocery store to the self serve olive station because they had clear containers about 3 inches in height. I put a tbs of olives in 12 different containers so I could grow my herb disks in them. The work like a lucky charm. My herbs all look fabulous just like yours!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
So will the Italian parsley I sprouted be useable this year or next? I think I read it is a biennial, but that just means it will be next year before it sets seeds, right? :/

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
r4eboxer said:
HunkieDorie23 said:
hoodat said:

http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo173/Teresa_lyn23/Marjoram001.jpg

I actually went to my grocery store to the self serve olive station because they had clear containers about 3 inches in height. I put a tbs of olives in 12 different containers so I could grow my herb disks in them. The work like a lucky charm. My herbs all look fabulous just like yours!
:gig I laughed so hard, then I read your post to my husband and he started laughing.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
so lucky said:
So will the Italian parsley I sprouted be useable this year or next? I think I read it is a biennial, but that just means it will be next year before it sets seeds, right? :/
I used my parsley all year last year. I keep watching for it to come back. No sign yet but yes you will be able to use it as soon as it get big enough. It is very hardy, I even used it for Thanksgiving.

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Why is marjoram so hard to find in grocery stores? Is it maybe just my region? They don't carry marjoram in the herbs/spices section.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
They sell what people will buy. If an herb is not popular enough in your part of the country to move they will stop handling it. Not too many people know what to do with marjoram.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
sparkles2307 said:
Why is marjoram so hard to find in grocery stores? Is it maybe just my region? They don't carry marjoram in the herbs/spices section.
I think the only time I have seen it here is in the fall around Thanksgiving. I really like the flavor and they are easy to grow. They are not cold tolerate so you have to plant it every year.