Basket Case

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Baskets are a real good way to keep things dry!

I thought of that when I moved the shallots this morning.

Here is last year's dry soybean harvest:

soybeansSeptember.jpg

After several weeks in the basket, they were moved into a gallon ziplock bag.

digitS'

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We have a huge collection of 3 and 5 gallon bucket we use for everything. My husband gets them for free as he drives around eastern Oklahoma (for work) he picks them up everywhere (on the sides of roads mostly) he needs a bumpersticker, caution this truck stops for buckets! lol

I also look for usefull pots/pan/and dishes at thrift stores, flea markets, garage sales, and the like.

Haven't got to many baskets though, didn't think they would stand up well, you guys have got me to thinking about using some.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't suppose they really do stand up well, Kassaundra.

The thing is, Americans use baskets for decoration. And, they just tire of looking at them. I suspect that most of us don't really care about using someone else's cast-offs as decoration (could be wrong ;)).

So, baskets are real cheap in the thrift stores. Drift over to that aisle the next time you are in a Good Will and you will see what I mean.

If you leave your tomatoes in them too long, they may mildew. Toss 'em. A couple bucks is all it takes for a replacement. Oh, and you can wash a basket - it dries quickly, even if you allowed it to soak a bit and then hosed it off on the lawn.

Steve

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
I don't suppose they really do stand up well, Kassaundra.

The thing is, Americans use baskets for decoration. And, they just tire of looking at them. I suspect that most of us don't really care about using someone else's cast-offs as decoration (could be wrong ;)).

So, baskets are real cheap in the thrift stores. Drift over to that aisle the next time you are in a Good Will and you will see what I mean.

If you leave your tomatoes in them too long, they may mildew. Toss 'em. A couple bucks is all it takes for a replacement. Oh, and you can wash a basket - it dries quickly, even if you allowed it to soak a bit and then hosed it off on the lawn.

Steve
I know a lot of people do, but I never got into that. I've had my own home for 20+ years now and can't remember ever even having a basket. :hu I remember when friends of mine got into those very expensive baskets they have home parties for, couldn't believe what they were spending on baskets! :th

I will definately check them out though and do some thinking where they could be used. (still won't decorate w/ them though)

DawnSuiter

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
hang a basket? wall decoration? If you hang a basket on the wall for decoration, it will collect dust. What kind of decoration is that? I can't imagine trying to properly clean all those grooves & in between weaves!

I like picture frames or just plain old wall paint.. they collect less dust! :)

I wash my baskets often, and use them until they break. When the bottoms fall out I use them as "Ground Pots" I call them. I just set them on the ground somewhere with fresh dirt, and fill them up & plant them. One year I had a bunch of ground pots and planted tall sunflowers, it looked cute. The finished disintegrating through the season and then I composted them.

PERFECT cycle if you ask me. :)

Latest posts