Battery String Trimmers

jomoncon

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
MY DH has a really big, really heavy string trimmer that's just to heavy for me to use. I'd like to get a battery operating one for doing light trimming in my garden area - around the raised beds & in all the little corners & pockets a mower won't fit. I've used a corded electric trimmer before & don't relish the idea of dragging a cord around all the boxes, beds & trees.

Any ideas about what I should look for in a battery operated string trimmer? Does anyone have one that the really like or dislike?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got one from sear-don't remember the name. I find they only last a year or two. They are much easier than the gas powered. I would suggest getting 2 batteries as one will not complete a large yard.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got the WORX GT for my Dad. He did not like it - BUT - he doesn't like anything new. He's been dragging an electric trimmer around the yard with two 100' cords attached (and burning up a cord just about every summer) for years.
I borrowed the cordless a few times. Mostly to see if it was as useless as he claimed. I found it did a fine job for small jobs. It was very light and easy to use. It was, however, pretty much useless in very overgrown areas or anywhere that had tough, woody stalks/stems.
And I agree - get at least 2 batteries. They don't last very long once you get to really working.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
The ad below talks about black and decker cordless trimmers.

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
i have a DR trimmer someone gave us, it's on wheels so it is really easy to use, except the wheels fell off and I am STILL waiting for the man to put the new ones on!..Been waiting since May...I think he might be procrastinating again...:he

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I prefer the electric type even though dragging cords around can be a PITA. They are light, inexpensive and you don't have all the maintenance problems that come with a gas trimmer or run out of juice with the job half dome like the battery types. Their only drawback is that they aren't as powerful as the gas type.

Latest posts