Baymule’s 2019 Garden

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I forgot to post this picture. This is before I started trying to rescue the eggplant, cabbage, Brussels sprouts and kale. Those vines are wild cucumber things with small round yellow when ripe fruit that is sweet. They are invasive, drop hundreds of fruits with strong survival instincts. The fruits immediately begin burrowing into the soil like clams. Step on one, it bursts open, buries itself and releases a million seeds. The vines are like working with fiberglass insulation with bare hands. They afflict the ignorant with thousands of invisible glass-like threads that feel like stinging nettles. They stink. They have a heavy musky odor. A snake smells better. I hate them.

View attachment 32644
I feel your pain! I am behind on lot of garden chores and have lost so many plants to weeds. This year I used a woven landscape fabric and planted corn and melons on them and that really controlled the weeds. The pesky weeds still grow out of the planting hole but overall I was very happy with it. https://www.amazon.com/DeWitt-SBLT4...ic+for+garden&qid=1565485492&s=gateway&sr=8-4

Wow Bay, haven't been on here in a while but hate to see your having the trouble in the garden. I can totally relate, had inguinal hernia operation first of June, knocked me down cold, my gardening took a back seat. My wife did what she could to save what she could, but it was overwhelming. Feeling good now, but real cautious, I can still feel the aftermath so I don't push it. I too am looking forward to a fall garden.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow Bay, haven't been on here in a while but hate to see your having the trouble in the garden. I can totally relate, had inguinal hernia operation first of June, knocked me down cold, my gardening took a back seat. My wife did what she could to save what she could, but it was overwhelming. Feeling good now, but real cautious, I can still feel the aftermath so I don't push it. I too am looking forward to a fall garden.
Your garden went to crap too, huh? Sorry about your garden, but getting YOU fixed and back to good health is much more important. Take it easy on yourself, you sure don't want to mess up, hurt yourself and be down longer.

Now it is 100* and I just can't muster up any enthusiasm for the garden.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I mowed 2 rows of tomatoes yesterday evening. The grass was so tall & thick and the plants so pitiful it wasn't worth the mosquito bites to gather the handful of 'maters. I'd have gotten the last row too but it's too close to the chicken coop fence. I'll continue to pick a few (from the mowed low side) and toss them to the chooks till it all dies back.

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hey Bay! Hasn't today been wonderful!! We got very little rain, but the temps. Oh my!! It was 96* yesterday and now it's 67*.

Sorry about your garden. I had some successes and some failures. I tried to get a fall garden going, but the heat kept burning up my starts. We can try again next year. :)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey Bay! Hasn't today been wonderful!! We got very little rain, but the temps. Oh my!! It was 96* yesterday and now it's 67*.

Sorry about your garden. I had some successes and some failures. I tried to get a fall garden going, but the heat kept burning up my starts. We can try again next year. :)
We got an inch of rain last night. The coolness has been wonderful. It has been so hot and dry, the dust has been terrible. The grass is dry and crunchy, we are still on a burn ban, it takes more than an inch of rain to lift a burn ban. The garden was a total wipe out, like you say, we'll try again next year!

Latest posts