Baymule’s 2020 Garden

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I picked jalapeños yesterday, first picking and I got 29! Some were pretty big, so I guess if I leave them long enough I see that they will get big. I canned chicken, rice and cubed beef liver for the dogs yesterday, did 3 batches, got 21 quarts. That took all day, was all canned out by the time I turned the pressure canner off at 7:40 PM. I’ll can the jalapeños today with carrots and onions.

5B69F656-E94E-426B-B681-9D1E4DEF9E7E.jpeg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Carrots, onions, peppers, & what else?

Here's the recipe. I added more carrots and cut up a large sweet onion because I like the carrots and onion. I also used ACV instead of white vinegar.

Jalapeno pickles with carrots and onions

5 cups white vinegar
1 cup water
4 teaspoons pickling salt
2 teaspoons sugar
2 pounds jalapeños peppers or banana peppers pepperocini, washed and stemmed, and cut into 1/4″ rounds
1 carrot, peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch slices (3-5 slices per jar)
4 mexican green onions (white part only, 1 per jar)
9-12 cloves of garlic, 3 per jar

Combine vinegar, water, salt and sugar in a stainless steel or enamel non-reactive 2-quart saucepan, bring to a boil then turn to low and cook until sugar and salt dissolve. Cover and keep hot.

In clean hot jars, layer 3 cloves garlic, 1 Mexican green onion and 3-5 slices of carrot. Pack jars with jalapeños, packing tightly but careful not to crush. Pour hot brine over the top of jalapeños. Tap jars on countertop to remove any bubbles. Wipe rims, apply canning lids and tighten bands on jars.

Process bottles in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes. Cool and store in dark place for up to one year.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I picked Kentucky Wonder beans this evening! Our supper tonight was Kentucky Wonder beans, chicken and broccoli stir fry, beets and sliced tomatoes. Delicious!

My Kentucky Wonder bean vines got so heavy, the strings broke and they laid over on the ground.

97655FEB-0ED9-477B-9A79-51F548EC9C01.jpeg

So I restrung through the vines and got them put back up. I have a lot of beans out there!

Latest posts