Baymule's 500 Pound Boar!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
According to the truck scales, freakin WOOOW!!! Wilbur weighed 820 pounds!! Having a hard time wrapping my brain around that! BJ says that’s right because Wilbur is huge. Still can’t believe it! Waiting on hanging weight to compare to 820 pounds!

@Lickbranchfarm We will pick him up October 11, neighborhood party on the 13th. Guess what we're bringing? Could it be...….pulled pork? :drool

We're having one ham sliced in 1 1/2" slabs to put on the pit.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
75% is normal for dressed out finished hog. Does not include Heart, liver, etc. Fat hogs like him could dress out much higher in terms of live weight vs hanging weight. The fat as silly as it sounds, makes them dress out higher. In terms of edible meat, lower.

Very curious what your thoughts are on old boar meat.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am not keeping the lard, heart or liver. I don't have the freezer space for it. I had lard in the freezer from the last hogs and I got it rendered and canned, got 12 quarts. Made some nice cracklins too.

I'm having one ham sliced 1 1/2" slabs to put on the pit for pulled pork. The other ham will be ground. I'm having the bacon sliced and packaged, pork chops, ribs and the rest, half in pan sausage, half ground meat. Being a boar doesn't bother me.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ive had boar before. Young, I challenge anyone to tell the difference. In sausage, that is where most old boar goes. I’m curious how the chops and ground pork taste. Curious because I dont know-not making any predictions.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We bought a sow and a boar last year for $75. Fed them soured corn for 32 days, took them to slaughter. Sold half of the boar meat and they raved over it. (We kept a package of the pork chops and they were delicious) We gave away the other half to some friends that needed it, they were stunned. When they cook a meal from it, they send us pictures. We kept the sow and just about have all of it eaten.

This boar was $100. Where everyone else sees old hog, I see opportunity. Wilbur has been on soured corn for 38 days. If he is a little rank, I'll just add more spices. I've cleaned and processed old bucks (deer) that the meat had a strong smell to it, but it cooked up just fine. Just season the heck out of it. LOL It's a crapshoot. Roll the dice.

ETA-the sow last year hanging weight was 245, the boar was 216 hanging weight. We'll see where Wilbur dresses out.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Boars I had were in that 250-300# live weight. No difference in meat flavor from barrows.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am not keeping the lard, heart or liver. I don't have the freezer space for it. I had lard in the freezer from the last hogs and I got it rendered and canned, got 12 quarts. Made some nice cracklins too.

I'm having one ham sliced 1 1/2" slabs to put on the pit for pulled pork. The other ham will be ground. I'm having the bacon sliced and packaged, pork chops, ribs and the rest, half in pan sausage, half ground meat. Being a boar doesn't bother me.

your never boaring, matter a fact we think your down right good person.

Yep I'm with Cane he looked bigger than 500, Dang 820 that's a lot of Pork. I know when I butcher deer its usually 50/50 sometimes a little more, just depends on the animal. I'm a lot more picky about cutting my meat than most processors, I don't like any silver skin or fat on my venison, deer fat is some funky stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts