Baymule's Pigs 2017-2018

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Soaking the corn is really helping. I couldn't fill them up! They were so hungry all the time. Now, I can feed them in the morning, yesterday and today, they still had feed when I fed them in the evening. This evening I fed them the last bucket that had pellets in it. No more pellets, they just don't like them. I had run out of corn, so we went to the feed store for 10 bags. I started 4 buckets this evening and added some of that whey I got from @Devonviolet on BYH. We also got a bale of hay for the pigs. I am going to spray it with the whey to get their interest. We'll see how that goes.

When you feed the corn~you give cob and all```

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ninnymary

Q: How loud can a pig scream? A: The scream of a jet engine taking off measures 113 decibels. The scream of a frightened pig can measure 115 decibels.

Not only can they burst your eardrums with their screaming, they have teeth called tusks that can rip you to pieces. That's why hunting wild hogs can be so dangerous. Hog dogs are suited up with Kevlar jackets to help protect them from being ripped open by the hogs.

Let a domestic hog loose and they revert to feral real quick.

images

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ninnymary

Q: How loud can a pig scream? A: The scream of a jet engine taking off measures 113 decibels. The scream of a frightened pig can measure 115 decibels.

Not only can they burst your eardrums with their screaming, they have teeth called tusks that can rip you to pieces. That's why hunting wild hogs can be so dangerous. Hog dogs are suited up with Kevlar jackets to help protect them from being ripped open by the hogs.

Let a domestic hog loose and they revert to feral real quick.

images
Wow, that's pretty loud. I clicked on the pig but no scream came out. haha

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Picked up meat yesterday. I fried a package of pork chops from the boar. NO boar taint. The meat is marbled with fat and melt in our mouths TENDER. Husband was raving between mouthfuls. Best pork chops he's ever had! Supper was two pork chops each and a salad. Two chops covered the plate. I was happily stuffed. Soooooo darn good!

img_2208-jpg.5441

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hanging weight was 245 on the sow and 214 on the boar. One of the families buying a half hog backed out because they had to rush their daughter to the ER, she had surgery to remove her appendix. They had no insurance, the bill is $29,000. I understand, that's their child. She was gracious enough to "store" the meat in her freezer until we can do something with it. We have liver, chopped fat and a hog head split in two in a neighbor's freezer.

The other family over paid us. Their half was $488, he handed us $500 and refused change. We are brining their bacon and will smoke and slice it in a few days. He offered to pay us for that, but we refused.

Processing on both hogs came to $584.05
Purchase both hogs $75
Feed $164
Total cost $823.05
Less $500

Our cost $323.05

We had the hogs 36 days. We are pleased.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tonight we had porkchops from the sow. They were less marbled with fat than the boar. They were just on the verge of being a little chewy. The flavor was excellent. I would give the boar an A++ and the sow an A for meat quality, tenderness and taste. We are really happy that we bought these hogs. Along with the porkchops, we had a green leafy salad with pomegranate.

img_2212-jpg.5448

img_2211-jpg.5447

Latest posts