Bean bugs/June bugs/Spawns of Satan.... whatever you call them!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Picture or description please?

What we call June Bugs are huge flying fortresses that are a danger only when they bop you in the head.

I'm suspecting you're cussing out those dastardly Japanese Beetles that munch on beans and just about everything else growing in and around the yard.

I am an expert at JB eradication. Fighting them has become a special project of mine over the years. Spawn of Satan sounds pretty close to the truth since they crawl up out of the ground once the temperatures warm in late spring-early summer.

ccheek

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
20100415-june-bug.jpg

ccheek

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We always called them June bugs (although down here they come out in April and May). They eat at night... and have completely destroyed my okra and melons. We've never had this big of a problem though. It's probably due to our very mild winter. :( My chickens absolutely love them, but coop up at night when I would need them most.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Although I've not seen them on my plants, I have heard that they will chew up your fruit trees. Milky spore on your lawn first week of July should get their grubs too.

ccheek

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Although I've not seen them on my plants, I have heard that they will chew up your fruit trees. Milky spore on your lawn first week of July should get their grubs too.

What floors me is that I rarely see grubs. And between my kids, dog, and chickens EVERYTHING gets dug up at one point or another!!!! Gotta be coming from those neighbors :lol:... I will have to try the milky spore. Where would I get it?

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Milky spore won't work on those huge june bug grubs. Preditory nematodes give some control.

Latest posts