Beans, Beans, Beans!

bigredfeather

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We have a bumper crop of beans this year. So far we have canned 56 quarts and they're still coming. I have four 30' rows. I have picked five 5-gallon-buckets so far, and my wife and kids have also picked some. I have been picking them about every other day. I think the biggest factor for this bumper crop is something I did last winter. I raised some Cornish X's last Fall. After they were gone, I had about 12 in of wood shavings that was saturated with their poo. I put all that used litter on the area of the garden where the beans are growing last winter. It has turned out to be a great fertilizer.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Awesome!

Good plan on the poo shavings. I would grow corn in those rows next year!

So you doing any special recipes you wanna share for canning these, or are you just canning them all as it!?

bigredfeather

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
ETA: I had corn there last year, that's why I put the poo shavings there, as I figured corn used a lot of the available Nitrogen.

Just add a little salt to the filtered water used to fill the jars. Bring water to a boil, pour over snapped beans in the sterilzed jars. Put in pressure canner for 25 minutes at 10 pounds of pressure. Done.

Enjoy all winter long.

Pretty easy. Time consuming, but easy.

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
wow thats great, so am i understanding you put the wood/poo shavings into the garden bed ... i was visualizing the chickens in a tractor living over the garden bed .. i guess either way is beneficial! thats a great score on the beans, i have about 12 plants and they've given me a nice treat .. note to self: add chicken poo to bed!

bigredfeather

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
chills said:
wow thats great, so am i understanding you put the wood/poo shavings into the garden bed ... i was visualizing the chickens in a tractor living over the garden bed .. i guess either way is beneficial! thats a great score on the beans, i have about 12 plants and they've given me a nice treat .. note to self: add chicken poo to bed!
I had the meaties in a pen in the barn. I shoveled the shaving into wheelbarrel, and then spread a layer across that area of the garden.

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
thanks .. chickens are the next venture! then i only hope to slip a few ducks in and hope my husband doesnt notice the difference between the two ..

bigredfeather

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
chills said:
thanks .. chickens are the next venture! then i only hope to slip a very ducks in and hope my husband doesnt notice the difference between the two ..
Most Back Yard Chicken Forum members will warn you chickens are very addictive, so beware. It starts out innocent enough, but before you know it, you hooked.

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
biggreenthumb .. being in the heart of a major city, i think i am limited to 6, i looked once and thought to myself - well i dont want that many anyway .. so maybe that will work to our advantage on controlling the addiction .. still just a 'want' for now .. i love byc though ..

bigredfeather

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
chills said:
biggreenthumb .. being in the heart of a major city, i think i am limited to 6, i looked once and thought to myself - well i dont want that many anyway .. so maybe that will work to our advantage on controlling the addiction .. still just a 'want' for now .. i love byc though ..
If it gets too bad, you could always MOVE! lol