Beans

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
How late do you think I can get away with planting beans and still get something out of them. I have already done one round but they stopped producing so I pulled them. I was going to try another. Do you think a fall crop will work or is it to late? I am thinking Blue Lake and KY Wonder.

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It would depend on where you live and how long you have before your cool season sets in.

Both varieties will produce for 6 - 8 weeks.

The Blue Lake matures earlier - abt. 58 days.
The KY Wonder matures abt. 65 - 67 days.

So, if you planted now, you'd be looking at your first yield to arrive at this time in September. Your harvest would then run into November.

nccountrygirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I planted mine Tues. I planted Blue Lake Bush beans. They mature in 55 to 58 days. I figured what the heck why not take the risk and go for it.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I think I am going to get it a try too. What the heck I got seed and it won't take 30 seconds to plant it.

NC - did you put your back where the old ones where?

nccountrygirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
No, I planted them where my Squash, Zukes and Cukes were. You always want to rotate your crops to keep the pest confused. Good Luck.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Confusing the pests, I like that theory. :lol: I know we always rotate our farm crops for various reasons but I never really thought about that one.

Latest posts