Bearded iris pics

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
They are so easy to move, you should grab some if you can 4grand! They really are a delight- and so trouble free. My kind of plant!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well I finally have some bloomers! Here's a kicker. I planted these 3 years ago.... last year I got my first 2 blooms and only had yellow and purple. This year, there are 2 different purples, some white opening you don't see (they opened this morning), yellow, a mauve and an unknown I am waiting on still.

In my front yard, I have 1 double blooming german iris with an orange throat. I very much enjoy that one, but it hasn't opened yet.

So my pretty little collection (these were sent to me in the mail, and there was no return address! I have NO idea who sent them, but I am VERY grateful!!!!)

14084_img_6673.jpg

14084_img_6672.jpg

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The white and yellow were blooming today! I took some cell phone pictures... just need to upload them. I've waited years for the fun of finally finding out what colors we have! So amazed by the diversity we got!!! :D

Featherbaby

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Why is it you can't grow bearded Iris in Florida? I have gotten 2-3 to bloom over the 10 years I've been trying. I don't want to admit how many have died in the process. I'm an experienced gardener, know how to make the right soil mix for them, etc. I have grown them in Arkansas and Kentucky....but not here in Fl. I even had one major iris catalog co. refuse to send me a catalog because they said I couldn't successfully grow them here. I love them so and I just wish I knew why my struggles are not working out. I'm in Jacksonville (North FL, East Coast)

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last year I divided a ton of iris that came with the property. Planted over 280 of the bulb divisions, and had a few bloom. I couldn't wait till this year.......

until the gophers got most of them.

I hate gophers.

renovationmom

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Featherbaby said:
Why is it you can't grow bearded Iris in Florida? I have gotten 2-3 to bloom over the 10 years I've been trying. I don't want to admit how many have died in the process. I'm an experienced gardener, know how to make the right soil mix for them, etc. I have grown them in Arkansas and Kentucky....but not here in Fl. I even had one major iris catalog co. refuse to send me a catalog because they said I couldn't successfully grow them here. I love them so and I just wish I knew why my struggles are not working out. I'm in Jacksonville (North FL, East Coast)
I am not an expert, but I would think the amount of rainfall and humidity there is a challenge. I would try a raised bed(better drainage), full sun(so they can dry out good) loose sandy soil. Hope this helps.

Latest posts