Bee hat w/mesh, but tiny mesh for gnats??

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
I need a very lightweight hat with mesh that have holes so small that gnats cannot slip through.

I've looked at many regular bee hats and mosquito hats, but all have mesh that is too large and gnats would easily pop through.

The darned gnats are making watering a huge pain. I'm constantly blowing out gnat boogers and hoping they don't fly into my eyes. I look like an insane asylum escapee the way I'm constantly waving my hand to get them to go away!

Someone please tell me they sell one with mesh for gnats!!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have no clue what is for sale, but I do have the same problem with those hateful "no-see-ums". What works for me is a black scarf (chiffon or something from the 1950's) around my face. I find black easier to see through than white, the scarf reaches down my neck and into my shirt so I literally don't have a bit of problem anymore.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
might have to do a DIY thing with leggings or material of that nature. A hammock camping forum could likely send you down the right path. This person could likely make something for you.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would think some nylon netting from a fabric store would work, attached to a gardening hat. Some of it is stiff, coarse, and would be itchy, but I think that is mostly sizing that would wash out. (wash by hand, and hang to dry, otherwise it will shred and twist) The netting is cheap to buy, and comes in a variety of colors. You could staple or glue it to the brim, add a ribbon to cover the mess where it all attaches, and there you go. Be sure you make it long enough to tuck under your collar.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@so lucky had the same idea I did. You can buy Tulle (Stuff for bridal veils) VERY FINE mesh. Staple, glue or sew to a hat with small brim and leave long enough to tuck into shirt.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips! :)

MoonShadows

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I wear an old straw cowboy hat and spray it with bug spray made of essential oils (so I am not breathing in chemicals). The little buggers leave me alone.

Latest posts