Beekeeping Meeting tonight!

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I really want a hive but I a little scared of investing right off the bat in case I don't like it. Tonight I'm hoping to find out more about it and talk to some experts - they seem like a friendly bunch! I'm hoping I might get invited to visit some of their hives! :D

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, I got invited by two different members to visit their hives! I really didn't learn very much, but they people were super friendly - maybe because I was the youngest person there! :gig

I also met a lady that happens to live near my brother and she has hundreds of daylilies and wants me to come over and take all the lilies I want for free! :weee

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh awesome!

My neighbor keeps bees, and he was moving part of his hive and I had a SWARM through my yard... like 1000s of them spinning around our trees!!!!

Nice to know I have someone else supplying me with pollination this summer. He does love collecting honey... and offered us some... so that was exciting. I think you should do it!!! :D

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi everybody! I am jumping over from BYC. I love this site too!! I went to a bee meeting last night, as well. I am about to become a beekeeper. I have my hive (need to finish painting it) and then I will deliver to the "bee" man, who is going to put a nuc with a queen into it. I am very excited about it. Try it- I think it is going to be really cool.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
lesa said:
Hi everybody! I am jumping over from BYC. I love this site too!! I went to a bee meeting last night, as well. I am about to become a beekeeper. I have my hive (need to finish painting it) and then I will deliver to the "bee" man, who is going to put a nuc with a queen into it. I am very excited about it. Try it- I think it is going to be really cool.
Beekeeping is really fun, good to have more of you onboard. And Lesa, :welcome :thumbsup

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think it will be fun, I'm very excited about it. lesa, Reinbuea where did you buy your hives? Will I need to buy the whole bee suit or just the hood? Can I purchase a used hive at a cheaper price?

Thanks!

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Joan, we've purchased most of our equipment from Brushy Mountain. They usually have free shipping in December, which is the best time to order from them, because woodenware is heavy! You may be able to find a supplier closer to you where you could pick the equipment up. If you'd like, I can e-mail you an Excel file that lists the various pieces needed to get started in beekeeping.

I will say I feel better with a full suit, if I'm going into the hive, but when hubby is doing the 'invasion' I don't wear anything special - and in four years of beekeeping I haven't been stung once.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are quite a few bee catalogs out there... I ordered mine from BetterBee, they are in NY state. The shipping for the hive and accessories was 30.00. The beginner kit was around 250.00. That includes everything basic that you will need. A veil, smoker, hive tool, etc. If you are not an experienced woodworker, I would pay for assembly. If DH hadn't helped me, I never would have been able to put it together. When they say "some assembly required" they aren't kidding! I did not order a suit- I am thinking jeans and jean jacket. Maybe, rubberbands around the ankles? I did get the gloves (they come with kit). I am not planning on opening the hive more than necessary! I am putting the final coat of paint on tonight- and I'll be ready to go! There is some negatives to used equipment, as far as spread of disease goes- but plenty of people use it. I would have, if it was available to me.
Reinbuea, do you plant anything special for your bees?
Happy Spring!!

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Reinbeau said:
Joan, we've purchased most of our equipment from Brushy Mountain. They usually have free shipping in December, which is the best time to order from them, because woodenware is heavy! You may be able to find a supplier closer to you where you could pick the equipment up. If you'd like, I can e-mail you an Excel file that lists the various pieces needed to get started in beekeeping.

I will say I feel better with a full suit, if I'm going into the hive, but when hubby is doing the 'invasion' I don't wear anything special - and in four years of beekeeping I haven't been stung once.
Thank you Ann, that would be great. Yes, I'm going to ask the club members if there is a local place to buy. That's good to know you've never been stung! :D

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
lesa said:
There are quite a few bee catalogs out there... I ordered mine from BetterBee, they are in NY state. The shipping for the hive and accessories was 30.00. The beginner kit was around 250.00. That includes everything basic that you will need. A veil, smoker, hive tool, etc. If you are not an experienced woodworker, I would pay for assembly. If DH hadn't helped me, I never would have been able to put it together. When they say "some assembly required" they aren't kidding! I did not order a suit- I am thinking jeans and jean jacket. Maybe, rubberbands around the ankles? I did get the gloves (they come with kit). I am not planning on opening the hive more than necessary! I am putting the final coat of paint on tonight- and I'll be ready to go! There is some negatives to used equipment, as far as spread of disease goes- but plenty of people use it. I would have, if it was available to me.
Reinbuea, do you plant anything special for your bees?
Happy Spring!!
$250 is not bad at all! The places I've been on the internet start at $400! I would definitely want a veil. My cousins uncle has hives and doesn't wear a veil - well, he had a bee fly down into his ear!!! eeeeeeeeeek! I'd freak out! :th

Latest posts