Bees in weird places...

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am so glad my husband is not allergic to bee stings. He has 15 hives so far this season and wants maybe 5 more. he almost always gets stung when tending them. Mostly accidental. Pinching one when put lid back or caught in his suit. Some days they are so docile he can work them with out, hood, coat or gloves. Other times they go crazy and sting through his jeans and bee suit! Poor guy had a WHOLD BUNCH of them find a gap in his suit (forgot to Velcro something )and he got 30 to 40 stings before he could get it off and away from them. That time scared him and me a bit. With so many stings we watched him carefully for a bad reaction.

Prairie Rose

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@ducks4you the faucet is one of the kind you just find on the side of the house to attach a hose to. it's on the west side of my house, gets shaded until about 1 pm and full sun the rest of the day

@Carol Dee I loved having bees...the old timers who taught the beekeeping class I took a few years in a row said that new beekeepers go through an acclimation stage where they react badly...but they'd also had students with deathly allergies who successfully kept bees. I think the worst sting I got was when a bee got tangled up in my work shirt...and then I tucked it in. I got several scrapes before it finally stung me...I didn't know a bee sting could blister and weep like poison ivy until then. It was the first of the reactions that made my doctors go nope that's a true allergy. I had one hive get aggressive with me when treating for mites...I got stung on the finger through three layers of gloves. I had to use a week of vacation time for that one...I couldn't hold anything and my job won't make allowances for physical injuries unless related to pregnancy or a salary employee.

Latest posts