Beginning of a new herb garden

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Every year I start or buy herbs for planters or baskets. I have never tried to keep them in the ground. I have tried to hold Rosemary over the winter several times but have never managed to keep it alive. Over the winter I saw several pictures of other members rosemary growing just fine, even in the snow. So, this year I found a little patch of ground beside the barn that should make a suitable herb garden. I had a bunch of stone stacked there waiting for another project to get started, so I cleaned it out, amended the soil and started a little herb garden. It's not much right now, but I plan to add to it over time. I would eventually like to extend it out into the yard more and add a small water feature, maybe a pond and waterfall. But for now, it's here.

I have some basil, a boxwood basil, oregano, thyme, parsley, dill and , of course, two rosemary bushes. My poor dill was very unhappy in the hoop house :( It should do much better now. It's a start I guess.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Monty, that's quite a few herbs you have there. They all look nice. The only concern I have is the 2 rosemary's. They can get pretty hugh.

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good use for those stones, MontyJ.

The neighbor collected a bunch of those flagstones. Putting them down and allowing the weeds to run riot around and over them didn't work well! I think I will suggest that he use them for edging.

Arp rosemary sometimes listed as a zone 6 perennial. I don't have Arp but it would mean that the maximum cold that it can take is -10F. We haven't had a winter that cold in the last 2. Still, the fall can be very dry here and we may not have a snow cover until late December. I have seen it -21 in November. I just can't see me risking my non-Arp outdoors.

Steve

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
That looks great Monty! I feel your pain with the Rosemary. I was doing ok bringing mine in over the winter and it was looking pretty good. Then I went to water it one day....BUGS!!! Aaaaahhhhhh :hit outside into the freezing temps it went.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looks great!! And don't worry too much about the rosemary - you can always prune it up to keep it in check (maybe even root the trimmings and spread it all over the place!). Congrats on the new garden! :thumbsup

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
That looks really cute! Love the stones... I think after this season you will be increasing the size of that garden. When the herbs, get going there is no stopping them!

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
Monty, that's quite a few herbs you have there. They all look nice. The only concern I have is the 2 rosemary's. They can get pretty hugh.

Mary
mary when they get big, it's time to trim them back and use them as skewers for kabobs love the smell as they cook on the weber.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
major, my rosemary got 3 feet tall and 4 feet wide. Had to pull it out because I really didn't use rosemary to cook with and got tired of trimming it. Didn't think about the skewers.

Mary

Latest posts