Bell peppers and 44 degrees overnight?

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I moved some bell peppers out to the garden yesterday... so of course it decides to dip into the 40's overnight! And I didn't cover them.

So... are they done for? I thought I read that low temps will stunt their growth permanently.

They are 8-10 weeks old, (and getting root bound in 4" pots,) and just about to bloom, so I hope they're old enough to take it.

What do you think?

-Wendy

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Mine have been outside for weeks. But I really don't like peppers, so I don't care if they do well or not. lol

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I put mine out yesterday as well. I didn't realize how low it was going to get. I did mulch them with straw, but mine are only 2" tall. I must go check on them... I planted 15 and have no more starts to swap them out if need be. :(

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
40s at night shouldn't hurt them so long as daytimes are 60 or more. They will grow slowly but speed back up as the weather warms up. Don't overfertilize if they are growing slow due to cool weather. It won't help and may hurt. Save your fertilizer for warmer weather. They won't set fruit till the nights warm to 55 or more.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
It won't kill them, although they will only set fruit when it warms up better. Oddly enough it takes a pretty good frost to kill a pepper plant. Peppers are one of the last things to endure in my garden each year.

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, I had one hot pepper just keep going and going and going last year. I wasn't sure if that was also true on the front end!

They've been in the new greenhouse which has had some... challenges with climate control. I believe I forced *all* the peppers and tomatoes by running them up to 105 for a few hours the other day! Now the fan is installed, but it's not yet on a thermostat, so it's better, but still subject to me forgetting to turn it on/up/down.

The poor little pepper plants are now baking at 80+ degrees in the garden.

Good thing I don't *really* like bell peppers either! I hate the smell of the green ones, but the red ones are tolerable in certain things.

-Wendy

fastfreddy43

Leafing Out
Reaction score
AmyRey said:
Mine have been outside for weeks. But I really don't like peppers, so I don't care if they do well or not. lol
how can u not like peppers from sweet to so hot u cant touch them love em love em

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I wish I did. They're so pretty! But I don't do spicy anything. Even bell peppers are yuck. :(

Latest posts