Bermuda Grass Anyone?

TwoCrows

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Ok...I will admit it, I have NEVER planted grass seed! We live out in the middle of nowhere in the New Mexico mountains and lawn care has never been an issue around here! Ha! BUT...we have a dog run that is mostly dirt with very little grass. It turns to mud every time it rains.

So last week Saturday I planted Bermuda Grass back there. I am watering the heck out of it every day but nothing is sprouting yet. I purchased a seed that has fertilizer and some sphagnum moss in it, but I really had no idea what I was buying when I purchased this seed. LOL Is this a good grass to grow up at 7,000 feet? Does it die down in the winter? Any tips on maintaining it, (if it ever comes up!) ?

Thanks everyone. :)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Two Crows! Welcome!

About your grass, Bermuda is a heat loving warm season grass, at 7000 feet you are probably too cool for it to survive winter or to thrive well in the summer.

I think grass is nice in a dog run, but I don't know of a grass that can stand up to concentrated traffic in a small area, so unless you have an unusually large run you might be setting yourself up for some frustration.

Pea gravel works well for dog runs, maybe you could check that out.

TwoCrows

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thank you Thistlebloom! You know, we thought about Pea Gravel. I was worried about smells since it might stay wet under the gravel? This is an area of about 300 square feet and the dog is tiny. A 10 pound Maltese.

Thank you for the heads up about the temps and Bermuda Grass. We are still getting down in the upper 30's at night too, so the grass may decide to wait to sprout for another month. LOL I don't know. We don't get all that hot in the summer either. If it does take and dies back in the winter, will it regrow in the summer or will the cold kill it? We can see temps of -5 often in January.

But thank you for the Pea Gravel tip. If the grass doesn't work we will probably plan on gravel. :)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's a huge run for one lucky little dog! :) I would think that grass could work there, it probably would get worn out where it gets walked on the most.

You could maybe compromise and put gravel in where the dog does most of the walking around, and grass in the back half to lay on.

The bermuda will not come back after a winter. But a fine fescue mix should do well there. Pick one that is a mix of several fine fescues.

TwoCrows

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
You mean this grass is going to die and not return after one winter?? :th

Yes, he is one spoiled rotten Maltese! He is my baby of course. Sleeps under the covers, guards the couch like he owns it. LOL I don't think he thinks of himself as a dog. When he sees other dogs he ignores them. But humans are another story!

Well now this is not good news on this Bermuda! Maybe I need to head back to the garden store and see what I can find in the way of Fescues.

Thank you SO much for your help!!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bermuda is the pasture grass of choice in HOT Texas. Probably not going to work out too good for you though. Here, you can't kill it if you pour gasoline on it and set it on fire. LOL. What about a lawn type rye grass? It is a cool season grass that grows in the winter here, but dies quick when the heat hits it. It redress and comes back every year.

TwoCrows

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I need a grass that can withstand intense UV at 7,000 feet, cold winters, dry winds and some drought. Is there such a grass out there?? :gig

TwoCrows

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Oh, all kinds of crazy grasses! Grasses such as galleta-tobosa, blue & black grama, hairy grama, buck grass and sacatone. I would have to order these seeds from somewhere, I am sure I could locate them. But I was hoping, as lazy as I can be, LOL, to go to my local garden section and find a grass that would work. Maybe not! LOL

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
What about zyosia grass? Not sure I spelled it right, but if the advertisements are true, it is a miracle grass. Google it.

Latest posts