Berry Bush - No Pic, Sorry!

noobiechickenlady

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I am trying to get a pic, but just in case someone can be brilliant :D

It sprawls in a semi-compact, small sized (maybe knee high?) bush. The bush has thin, arrow shaped, deep, dark-green leaves. They grow in pairs on either side of long thin branches, with a leaf at the terminal end. The fruit is orangey red, about the color of a tomato. They are about the size of a cherry tomato, no bigger than a quarter and are perfectly round. The seeds look like tomato or pepper seeds. They are arranged in a slight hollow in the fruit around a pulpy center. The flesh is pulpy and sweet (I just touched my tongue to it, field identifying) with a raspberry-like smell.

TillinWithMyPeeps

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Could it be a Ground Cherry?

ground_cherry.jpg

noobiechickenlady

Leafing Out
Reaction score
That was my first thought, but no husk on the fruit and the leaves are different. The leaves look more like this, but they are a muuuuch darker green. They are a shiny green too, not dusty at all.
Fraxinus-excelsior-male-leaves.JPG

noobiechickenlady

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I'd love to, but I can't get one as my camera isn't working. Like I said, this was just in case someone could be more brilliant than I am :lol: and figure it out. No biggie, it sprang up in an unintentional compost pile on a friend's property and I wanted to see if I could eat it. Its loaded with berries, whatever they are.

Latest posts