Best Strawberries For The Northeast..?

KevsFarm

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have some Honeoye strawberries in my garden that were absolutely delious last yr. This yr they are not anywhere as good, i can't figure it out.! They look really nice and ripe on the outside, but most are kinda half ripe and hard inside. They have a very tart taste. A few , one or two in 10 taste good and are ripe all the way through.I planted them three springs ago, made a big bed last yr from the runners since they were so good.This yr,i can't believe its the same berry.
Anyone else grow this berry.? Has anyone had a like experience..? Who's had great tasting berries this yr in the northeast and what's there name..?thanks

Whitewater

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'm in the north, not north east, but last year was my first year with Honeoyes and like you, I found that they're not a great fresh berry. HOWEVER, they made the most fabulous, superb strawberry jam of all time.

I think it's because they're so tart.

For the northeast you might want to try Cavendish or Tristar or All-Star . . . I have All-Star berries right now and DANG they're a nice size and they're wonderful fresh. They're doing so much better now, than last year when they were all babies.

In addition to Honeoye and All-Star, I also have Quinalt, Cavendish and Ozark Beauty strawberries, the OB's are certainly prolific in my patch this year :) The Cavendish are a long-season type and are bearing right now, even though I only planted them in early April as teeny babies. I can't wait for next year, after they've been established!

Hope that helps,

Whitewater (anything that can survive here ought to survive where you are!)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Soil pH can affect tartness. Also heavy rains can affect flavor (more bland). I grow sparkle for june-bearers and ozark beauty for everbearers. I'm zone 6.

KevsFarm

Leafing Out
Reaction score
thank you both for your tips...i'll have to check my soil PH...strawberries like an acidic soil , don't they...? The Honeoyes
were so good last yr. Oh well, i'll see what happen next yr, and check PH...

Whitewater

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I never heard that strawberries need an acidic soil . . . blueberries, definitely, but not strawberries.

This year I put compost in my patch and it's very obvious where the compost is -- there's a clear line between where the compost went (huge berries, big happy plants, berries turning red first) versus where the compost didn't go (lots of weeds, smaller berries, still green fruit, not as big).

Based on that experience, I'd say that strawberries do better with compost!

Of course, the fact that I put compost in means that my soil is less clay, and less hard-packed, so perhaps that has more to do with it than anything else. Who knows?

I also note with interest that the Cavendish berries aren't sending out runners yet, but are producing fruit. Can't help wondering if they wait to run until their season is done? I guess I'll find out in a couple months :)

Whitewater

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Slightly more acidic, like with tomatoes. I had to look it up but found pH range should be between 5.3 and 6.5. Much outside of that range you'll have trouble getting them to grow anyway. Yes, compost/manure...you can't beat it. If your soil is *too* acid, bring up with ag lime. Strawberries take a lot out of the soil, so it helps to fertilize every year.

Latest posts