Best way to fertilize tomatoes?

SJ1

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have Better Boys growing in containers. The plants aren't growing very large and I'm not getting many blossoms or fruit. Had the same trouble last year. The plants seem to be healthy, the fruit tastes fine, tho' it's smaller than Better Boys are intended to be.

Can I fertilize with fish emulsion?

Is there something better?

Would rather not use chemicals.

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I think tomatoes in containers can be tricky, they really need a big pot. I am sure that someone can come along and give you more specific info.

As for fertilizer, I have been using an organic fert. called Dr Earth and I have been really happy with the results. I am not really well versed in nutrients, but it would appear to me that your plants cold use a little bone meal to help set fruit and a nitrogen boost to encourage growth.

yardfarmer

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I did one tomato plant is a very large container last year, it was an Early Girl and I mada a trellis so it could climb.

It didn't do very well either; the tomatoes were smaller and the skin was a littler thicker than the ones in the garden.

This year we set a determinate tomato in the same large pot. We amended the potting soil with some compost, bone meal, kelp meal, cottonseed meal, and rock poshate.

It's doing very well, lots of flowers, nice green leaves; but it still is not as large as the plants in the garden. I think tomatoes in containers will not perform as well as tomatoes in the ground; but we still enjoy having a tomato plant on the patio.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have used liquid fish fertilizer for my tomatoes, and they seem to do quite well, so give it a shot. It is a good organic method.

Top dressing with a rich fish based compost, like sea soil, also works, but don't let it rest against the stalk, as it might burn it a tad. When you water, the nutrients get washed in to give the plants a boost.

SJ1

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone! I figured it was partly the container. It is a good-sized one. I'm using pine bark and cypress bark as mulch. I'll try the fish emulsion and post a report.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Growing tomatoes in containers can be a little tricky but also can mean tomatoes in the winter :)

Tomatoes are heavy nitrogen feeder but they also require phosphorus to make flowers and set fruits, fish emulsion will help with this. A good method that we have found that works for getting both water and nutrients to the plant roots (and works well for pots) is to get a 3/4 to 1 inch PVC pipe and drill a bunch of holes on one end. Then push it into the ground about 8-16 inches (all depending on the size of your pot and plant) the idea is that you want it to be deeper than your plant roots so they grow towards it but not so deep that they don't benefit from it. Then water and fertilize through the top. If you make the pipe long enough and use the 1 inch PVC the pipe can double as a stake. If you drill holes at 1 foot intervals and tie strings through them this works pretty good.

When growing in containers you also have to make sure that they never dry out, especially with tomatoes, since this can cause stunted growth and poor fruit development. The fact that drainage is increase in containers also leads to quicker nutrient depletion which makes more frequent fertilizing necessary. It is good that you are mulching. Make sure that the plant is getting at least 6 hours of sunlight too, this is very important.

Good luck!

SJ1

Leafing Out
Reaction score
OaklandCityFarmer, thanks for the info. The PVC pipe sounds like it would be a good idea. I found out last year that I needed to water more than I had been, and that they got sunburned easily. This year they are on the deck and have a bit of shade for part of the day. They have those sturdy metal cage stakes around them.

I appreciate all the help.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I put a few tomatoes in containers, also, and they do very well.

As OaklandCityFarmer said, they have to be kept watered.

I also foliar spray with kelp meal, aside from other amending.

Good luck! :)