best way to water ?

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The gallon jugs with a hole work great. Especially if you can't get out there all the time to water. I had actually completely forgot about them. Thanks for reminding me!

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'd forgotten about them, too, Ams! Thanks for the reminder; they did work well.

Actually, we're having our annual competition in our family....who can grow the largest pumpkin by fall. We each get a pair of Atlantic Giant seeds.

I started miine *whispering* by soaking the seeds in a water/Maxi-Crop mixture. Maybe my pumpkins need some personal waterers next to them. Muahahahah! :weight

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Tutter said:
I'd forgotten about them, too, Ams! Thanks for the reminder; they did work well.

Actually, we're having our annual competition in our family....who can grow the largest pumpkin by fall. We each get a pair of Atlantic Giant seeds.

I started miine *whispering* by soaking the seeds in a water/Maxi-Crop mixture. Maybe my pumpkins need some personal waterers next to them. Muahahahah! :weight
My grandfathers secret to big pumpkins was milk, he would somehow inject them. I cant get anything in when I do it so I just water them with some powdered milk mixture occasionally, not sure if it makes a difference.

As for the milk jugs....glad to help. An oldie and a goodie....and recycling ;) who doesnt have too many of those things!

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've never heard of milk, but I can't see as it would hurt, and it might just give me that little edge I need....! ;)

Thanks! :happy_flower

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I read how to do this once.....you make a small hole in the vine, insert a small straw and place the other end in a dish of milk. The plant will draw up the milk. Just keep the milk container full and fresh. I can't imagine how one would keep predators away from the milk but I'm sure there is a way.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That is one of the oddest things I've ever heard; but interesting!

You're right, though. The big garden is way too far from the house to play with attracting animals, and boy do we have those! Lions and tigers and bears, oh my! Well, alright, no tigers, but plenty of bears and lions, and everything smaller imaginable!

Thank you! :)

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The milk actually helps prevent powdery mildew and other fungi from forming in most curcubits.

We usually spray ours before a big rain and throughout the season.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That explains it then. We don't seem to have conditions which encourage powdery mildew; we've never had it in the garden

I think because we don't have a cool growing season, no rain during the bulk of the growing season, and even though we grow biointensively, there's a lot of air circulating. The big garden is in a "trough" which gets more of the daily air movement than we do up here by the house, even. And we get a nice sea breeze almost every afternoon up here, even through heat waves.

Have you ever given it "IV", as described by, Beekissed?

I'll keep it in mind as an option...just in case; thanks! :)

Latest posts