best way to water ?

ericasl

Sprout
Reaction score
What is the best was to water watermelon, cantalope, pumpkins?? I have a 20x20 patch and I have been out there fighting my soker hoses, trying to get it right. Well lets just say the hose is winning.. How bad is it to use a sprinkler?? Or do I need to go fight the sokers some more?

Thanks
Erica

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We set a irrigation system using 3/4" PVC pipe and shrub bubblers. We make small hills for each of the plants and each plant/hill has a bubbler. This seems to work well.

I would not recommend using sprinklers because most curcubits are susceptible to powdery mildew especially when they don't have a chance to dry out.

Unfortunately these plants need a lot of water of produce fruits so this is always a challenge.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't overhead water mine, either. And yes, soaker hose can be a pain, depending.

Good luck, I'm sure it will be worth the effort to get them the water they need, once you are eating homegrown melons....which are the very best! :)

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you don't mind me asking, what sort of trouble are you having with your soakers? I plan to utilize a soaker system if needed and I would like to know all the pros and cons of each type.

ericasl

Sprout
Reaction score
Well my problem was trying to get water all the way down the soaker hose! Well it was my own fault I had two hoses hooked together and to get it all the way to the end of the hose I had to have the water going to fast. Flood at the start and no water at the end. So I had to just run the hoses on different lines not all hooked together. It is just going to take more time to water now I am going to have to do it in two sections, but I hope it works.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Has anyone here made their own drip/soaker hoses out of old garden hoses? Did they work well? I had read about doing this before but can't find the magazine in which I found it.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They aren't as pliable as real soaker hose but work well.

We added some holes to it using a fossil pick (I'm sure any pointed object should work) and capped it.

The dogs made the first hole into the hose to begin with. I guess if we left it with them long enough we wouldn't of had to add any holes!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
:lol: That is soooooo funny that you said that!!! The hoses to which I am referring were punctured by my pup last year!!! I thought I was the only one with an obsessed hound! Goes to show you, there is nothing new under the sun... :watering

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Even though we had a filter, ours clogged. We put in 2,500', and had to finally remove it.

The water began reducing how far out the water spread. We tried to put 3 per bed width, but it didn't help. It's the minerals in our water.

Also, we had tiny roots growing into the holes in a season.

I always liked soaker hose in the past, but for our purposes now, in the main garden, it's just not practical.

Now the hose with holes in it; I've done that, years ago, thanks also to a mouthy pup...and it worked well just for a section of kitchen garden! :)

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I used a srpinkler on my watermelon and pumpkin last year and had no proble. I turned them on early in the morning so they had plenty time to dry out. Dont know how many you have but back in the day I used to help my grandfather fill up gallon jugs he had set next to each plant with a nail hole in one corner.

Latest posts