Big $0 coldframe from scrap

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have a couple coldframes I use for seedlings in the spring, but they've always been frustrating to use for fall lettuce because it is just basically too tall for them.

I have a pile o wood from the rotting old back deck that I ripped off last month, and the more of it I can salvage the less I have to pay for disposal at the dump :p

So, this past Saturday when it was clear we were in for a prolonged cold spell, I knocked together this for the lettuce:

Coldframe001.jpg

Coldframe003.jpg

It is 2.5 x 4', and 3' tall. Plywood bottom, up on blocks so it doesn't rot the deck excessively (this is the warmest most sheltered location, so I pretty much *have* to have my end-of-season lettuce on the deck)

I just staplegunned white plastic feed- and shavings bags onto the frame, but will insulate it when I get around to it. The front window is an old storm window I got for free at the curb a few yrs ago that has cycled through various homebuilt coldframe structures around here :p

My plan is to reduce the number of boxes of lettuce in there, and raise the back ones up on black-painted jugs of water. I have not done this before in such a tall coldframe, so I will be curious to see how low a temperature it is good for. I cover it with that bedsheet there at night, but again, hope to make a foamboard-panel insulated cover for it one of these days Real Soon.

Took about an hour and a half, would have been faster if I weren't trying to use salvaged wood ;) Anyone else could do just as well -- it may not be pretty but could be *made* pretty by someone willing to buy new lumber and use something other than recycled feedbags, and it works just fine.

Pat

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
To find at least 4 sliding glass doors would be awesome, then you can walk in and play with the plants!

I thought this one was kind-of nice.
06_11_0614_59_02.jpg

A big glass cube in the yard! Everyone would want one...like me!

LOL :bow

I found this article interesting for anyone that is into making a coldframe. This one uses a hole filled with manure to create the heat below the seedlings. Amazing!

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/martin104.html

Well, not to detract from your wonderful coldframe, I just hope that there are more folks out there wishing and suddenly discovering the use of old windows!!

Ron

desertcat

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Love the recycled window look! I've been in the process (for 2 weeks now) of having windows replaced and I had such high hopes for all that left over glass. Unfortunately, the glass was so old and brittle that the biggest piece is about 1' sq. :hit Maybe next year I'll go scavenging.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I had my windows replaced this year as well and my freaking %&^$#@ husband forgot to tell Lowes that I wanted some windows. I almost started divorce proceedings over it.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Pat, thanks for sharing your cold frame ideas. We can sure use all the help we can to extend the season.
I've always been going to try it.. silly... I SHOULD!
Added benefit, the critters can't nibble!
I wonder too, about the light bulb for heat... ?

Ron, AWEsome window greenhouses!
I have seen them... in my dreams! Makes me think I need all new windows in my house... LOL!

I wonder if a person could contact construction companies or trash haulers or something. :hu
It would save them disposal fees and labor if you would take them away for nothing...

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder if a person could contact construction companies or trash haulers or something.
It would save them disposal fees and labor if you would take them away for nothing...
That is a great idea. Many things are free for the asking.

My neighbor's recently demolished the old barn/house on the property they recently bought and had plans to simply push it over the hill and burn it. Crazy people! There was hardly anything left time all the folks up and down the road scavenged it. Lots of good lumber and stuff, including windows.

One man's trash is truly another's treasure!

Latest posts