Big ol' scarry moth!!!

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Good morning everyone. I was hoping you could tell me what the heck this bug is. I have found two in the garden in the past 3 days. Both in my pumpkin/squash bed.

That happens to be a quart canning jar so it's huge!!!

IMG_0132.jpg

Sorry the pic is so huge.

g

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh my lord! I am not usually scared of bugs but I would be terrified if I encountered something that size! I hope you live somewhere far far away from me. :lol:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
curly_kate said:
Oh my lord! I am not usually scared of bugs but I would be terrified if I encountered something that size! I hope you live somewhere far far away from me. :lol:
:lol: Actually they're kind of pretty when they're pollinating, they resemble hummers. Apparently they lay eggs for the evil hornworm tho'. I, personally have never encountered the worm in my garden, but I don't always have my glasses on either.

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm in Southern Cal. I have only seen maybe 3 horn worms in 12 years in my property. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come next year.

The link did say that tilling usually killes the larvae. Well I have raised beds so I dont till. I think I will figure something out for next year though.

I wonder if the DE will deter them?

Gina

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know what it is about tilling that kills the larvae, but I suspect it is the action of breaking up the soil and exposing them. You could mimic that with a hand cultivator, just rough up the soil real good in the fall.

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Looks like what I have all over my yard, Hummingbird moths. They do act like humming birds, but their Larvae is your worst enemy!! Tomato worms ! :somad

Latest posts