Billing Hours

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last Sunday the sprinkler man stopped by to turn on underground system. I was home and talked to him, I was working in the yard whole time he was there. He was at my place a very short time less then half a hour. He just emailed me a invoice for Sun of 4 hours. I was shocked! system isn't working correctly in front yard. I need him to come back and reset system. Don't know if I should question hours now or wait till Sunday and do it in person. What would you do?

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do you have a copy of the contract? There may be a clause saying something about minimum charges. I know when I did cane/wicker repairs I charged a minimum 2 hr. (As I included materials in my flat hourly fee.) You might want to call the office instead of confronting the installer. (A good chance he doesn't know anything about the billing.)

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Carol I am kind of embarrassed to say I never got a contract, just invoice of cost. I spent several thousand dollars and no contract. My mother is rolling over in her grave, She put everything in writing, even if it was with us kids.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't be too hard on yourself Nyboy. I'm terrible when it comes to contracts outside of my business. I have a feeling that there is a minimum of hours like Carol says. You need to talk to manager or owner regarding the fact that the system is not fixed and price to fix it.

Mary

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do think the minimum amount is the case. If he would have sent invoice service call $$ I would have just paid it. Instead he billed 4 hours when I know theres no way.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is this a contractor with a small business or a large company that does sprinklers and landscaping?
If it's a small business I would talk to him in person. If the sprinklers aren't working correctly and his company was the installer they should
make it good. if it's a large company Carol Dee is probably right and he doesn't know the billing.
But a 4 hour minimum is excessive for just turning a system on. I would definitely question it.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would talk to him. 4 hours is excessive. If you gave him any advice about pets, send him a bill.

My Dad's lawyer joked while visiting at garage about billing him for advice. Dad laughed, told him to send his bill, then Dad would send him bills for car advice. Luckily both were joking...

Latest posts