Bird ID?

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
This little guy or gal has made a nest in our front porch, there are two or three chicks in the nest. Ideas on what species it is? Not sure why the pictures have a haze to them, but in a way, makes the pics more dreamy or something...

I'm calling them bigheads, for an obvious reason, lol.

bird1.jpg

bird2.jpg

bird3.jpg

bird5.jpg

bird4.jpg

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is what I have been using to identify my local birds that I don't already know... Great Backyard Bird Count gives a list of all birds native to your area by zip code. The list is broken down by bird families, so if you can narrow it down to some kind of finch, woodpecker, flycatcher or whatever, just start looking at the listings under that category. (Use the "Open new tab" option instead of just clicking the name... They really need to fix their code so you don't have to re-enter your zipcode every time you hit the back button. Opening a new tab or window will save you some aggravation.)

It will give you very detailed info on each species and even audio clips of their song and calls. Lots of pics too.

ETA: Those are really good shots that you got of your mystery bird, btw!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Super photographs, Secuono!

That is a great resource, Journey!!!

And, right you are So Lucky! Altho' I don't know a "least" from a "most."

I am fairly sure that our "most apparent" flycatcher here is the Hammond's Flycatcher. Supposedly the "Least" is around, altho' I had to click "Show this checklist with rare species included" in order to see any flycatchers. I think they made a little bit of a mistake refering to the Hammond's as "a small and unassuming flycatcher." Unassuming?

The tiny birds are pugnacious! They will build their nests out on the furthest branches of a big pine! I mean, any passing jay, crow, or hawk has an easy view of that nest! How they raise a clutch is a miracle and must have everything to do with their very aggressive nature. How else could they do it???

I am a great admirer of the flycatcher. At least, that one . . . one tough little character.

Steve

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We have siscor (sp) tailed fly catchers here, they have very long split tails they are very pretty. I see why you call yours "bigheads" lol

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
We participated in the bird count this year...that's how I found it. I keep it bookmarked now. :cool:

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Awesome photo Sec!

I definitely bookmarked that website Journey!

Latest posts