Bird Watching

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
The goldfinch is the State Bird of Iowa. I think I might see more at our feeders during the winter months. In the summer they are abundant in the country. Sweet birds..

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thats what I liked about male cardinal . Bright red against snow, don't know how he hid from hawks.

One reason why they recommend placing feeders and birdbaths near bushes or trees so birds can escape under cover if they have to. That works sometimes, but I have watched a hawk take a goldfinch right off the thistle feeder on my porch.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, we've been having tons of goldfinch here too this summer! Its one bird I've learned to ID by call, since when they're bouncing up and down like crazy they're also chirping like crazy! Cute things :)
The goldfinch's song is so carefree that it just has to make you smile (Link). However, Cornell doesn't seem to have that in-flight song ...

I don't hear birdsong the way you do, though. I'm not sure if I can make up any advantage. It must be something like @Nyboy 's hawk not seeing the Cardinal. He may not see colors well, at all. Distant detail and movement, I'd imagine, takes up a lot of hawk eye components.

Hawk polymorphism might be a result. Color isn't what prospective mates are looking for.

We and they are unique. Just like everybody ...

Steve ;)