Bird Watching

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Indigos are another one I rarely see, just a few times in the many years we've been here. My sister lives about 30 miles north and has a yard full of them most the Summer. What did you have out to attract them?
I've had them at the feeder before. There are several pairs of buntings that return each year. I think they prefer staying in and around wooded areas. When my feeder was in a glade, they would come for the same seeds that finch and grosbeak sought. There are a lot of those birds that I haven't seen at the sunny feeder in open ground.

Despite the noise, bluejays are fun to watch at feeding time. I throw peanuts on the ground so they leave the feeder more or less alone. I watched several times as one of the first jays to the peanuts kept picking up and then tossing away peanut after peanut as the 'next' peanut looked bigger. By the time all the other jays had helped themselves, the poor bird had his prize taken away from him and he ended up with half a shell. Hopefully there was a nut in the shell.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Indigos are another one I rarely see, just a few times in the many years we've been here. My sister lives about 30 miles north and has a yard full of them most the Summer. What did you have out to attract them?
Hi Lavender, I do not know what brought him to my yard. I have black oil sunflower seeds, a finch mix, peanuts and suet blocks. IT was fun to see, I hope he comes back and am leaving camera in kitchen just in case.
The shots of the owl are really cool. Just hope he leaves the bluebirds alone.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
The only barred owl I've ever seen here was one that was dead on the road. Can't imagine what happened to it. What a nice pose it made for you. :)

Is there time for another round of bluebirds? I wasn't sure. Mine just fledged the other day.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Before Lavender's owl began his long flight and showed up at her place, I figure he wanted a little taste of rabbit. Anyway, it looked like an owl had chowed down on Benjamin's cousin on the neighbor's lawn, just about 30' from the edge of the big veggie garden.

The neighbor reported a recent coyote visit but we decided that the sampling of bunny parts better indicated a bird of prey than Wiley and his ways.

I watched an eagle attempting to catch a duck, yesterday. I had just finished lunch myself so I was cheering the duck! I think the wind was working against the eagle. The duck did some celebratory flapping out on the river before I drove off.

This seems to be the "year of the goldfinch" in the gardens. I'm wondering if they ever eat! Near constant bouncy flights occur from one tree branch or bush to another. There are often goldfinches in the big veggie garden, especially. This year, several pairs must be nesting nearby.

Steve

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Remember the winter of 2011-2012? That was the year we had fruit trees flowering in February's 80s(F) and thunder storms in January. Basically the year in south-est, central-est Wisconsin would have fit into a warmer than usual zone 7 growing area. I could easily see bluebirds not flying all that far south with bugs flying in February around here.

Then came the drought of 2012 that followed. Beastly!

I remember that well @Smart Red, we were still sitting out on the deck in Dec.
Christmas morning I looked out the window to see a bluebird and a robin, had to think what month it was! We had a few patches of snow but most of the ground was clear. Hopefully it didn't confuse the birds too much, but I sure wouldn't mind a few more Winters like that!

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Nice! I had to look up your owl, he's a Barred Owl. Great pics!
Thanks! I had not looked it up yet to verify my guess. I was just saying, the only owl I had ever seen was the snowy owl, so that was neat to see! Something has been doing a great job keeping the rabbits down around here.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The only barred owl I've ever seen here was one that was dead on the road. Can't imagine what happened to it. What a nice pose it made for you. :)

Is there time for another round of bluebirds? I wasn't sure. Mine just fledged the other day.
I was shocked it sat there that long, looking at me. I guess I'm more used to birds disappearing the second I think about grabbing the camera.

The bluebird nesting season here is April through August, usually two broods, so they are probably done. I recently read that the families stay together the entire nesting season, often the first hatch helps out with later season babies.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Steve, we've been having tons of goldfinch here too this summer! Its one bird I've learned to ID by call, since when they're bouncing up and down like crazy they're also chirping like crazy! Cute things :)