Bitter Lettuce

bgreen415

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My 2 beds are raised and 100% compost. I have built in sprinkler irrigation in both. My wife and I tried multiple different type/varieties of lettuce . In every case it turned out bitter. We think it could be the soil and may try standard potting soil in long planters. Any help or comments would be appreciated.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hmmm curious. What varieties have you grown? Some ARE sorta bitter, but if you've tried a variety of types and they're all bitter you might be right to think about your soil. Lettuce will do well in a container with potting soil.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is this recent or last summer? In a greenhouse? When the weather turns hot lettuce will get bitter. You'll see a white milky liquid where you break off a leaf.

bgreen415

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I work in Tulsa during the week so I'll have to look when I get home. They were leaf lettuces though that I've had before that are not typically bitter. Thanks for the input.

bgreen415

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ridge runner it was last summer in the garden. Do you have any variety suggestions since your so close? Thistlebloom thanks for the input.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Summer=heat. Heat=bitter. Lettuce might be better as a fall or early early spring plant for you. I plant in the fall and eat lettuce all winter. First heat of late spring, it turns bitter and bolts to seed.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's totally unfair, the lettuce dies and the tomatoes come on strong. :barnieDid anybody say salad substitute?? :lol:

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have not found any varieties that don't turn bitter when summer hits. I've had good luck with Red Sails but it turns bitter too. I get the seeds from Chicken Holler in Farmington.