Bittersweet bumper crop :)

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
We planted 2 bittersweet maybe 5 -6 years ago. (Books said we would need two to get fruit.) One died the 1st winter. The other thrived but never produced berries until last fall. I missed my chance to harvest, then they froze off or birds ate. This fall I got LOTS. Plenty for myself, more to share with friends and family and some for the birds! :)
021.JPG

003.JPG
017.JPG

011.JPG

015.JPG

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 254

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
We planted 2 bittersweet maybe 5 -6 years ago. (Books said we would need two to get fruit.) One died the 1st winter. The other thrived but never produced berries until last fall. I missed my chance to harvest, then they froze off or birds ate. This fall I got LOTS. Plenty for myself, more to share with friends and family and some for the birds! :) View attachment 9858

View attachment 9856 View attachment 9857
View attachment 9854

View attachment 9855
Though it is lovely I cannot express loud enough that you should get rid of it. I planted it and was thrilled with the beauty of it climbing into the trees. It killed many full grown trees of all kinds including full grown cedars. It strangles trees and leaves a terrible mess where you need a back how to remove. Birds carry the berries and thus spread the vine.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
do you know if your's is the American bittersweet or Oriental Bittersweet? i'm fighting the Oriental in my yard and it hasn't been pretty.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
do you know if your's is the American bittersweet or Oriental Bittersweet? i'm fighting the Oriental in my yard and it hasn't been pretty.
No Idea, we bought it from a mail order catalog. The berries are bigger than what we see in the wild.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Though it is lovely I cannot express loud enough that you should get rid of it. I planted it and was thrilled with the beauty of it climbing into the trees. It killed many full grown trees of all kinds including full grown cedars. It strangles trees and leaves a terrible mess where you need a back how to remove. Birds carry the berries and thus spread the vine.

So far it has been very well behaved! We see it no where else on the 2 acre partially wooded lot. It is grown on a 3 strand wire fence. No trees near it.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pretty! I had available two small vines of bittersweet growing wild, one on my dad's farm and another along the lane to my MIL's house. I was able to get just a small amount for decorating. Both have died out! I only got one picking off of each. I have seen it one other place along a country road, growing up into some trees as Cat said. If you end up with more than you want in future years, maybe you can sell some of it to a florist in the fall.