Blackberry plants?

Gloria

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi, I found what looks like wild blackberry's in my backyard. I know there not raspberry's because I have them too. Can someone describe a blackberry plant to me please? What the leaves look like, how it grows etc. These are not big canes like the raspberry's. At first I thought it was wild strawberry's because of the 3 leaves on beginning plants. Then I found older plants with 5 leaves. I'm sure it's a blackberry but would like someone to confirm this for me. Thanks

akyramoto

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
800px-Blackberry_bush_with_fruit.jpg

Gloria

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I'm sure that's it! Do they grow low to the ground and then fall over and lay down when bigger? There's not very many berry's on these one's. But I did pick one that was bigger than a raspberry and black and had brown, like hairy things growing from in between the little pieces. Does that sound like a blackberry to anyone? I also seen some spots on some of the leafs that we're red or like a rust color?

Gloria

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thank You, so much for your help everyone. I'd hate to think I'm back there busting my behind for nothing.

I'm trying to clear the weeds so I'll have more berry's next year. I was thinking about putting the straw from the chicken coop out there after I get it cleaned up. Is that a good idea or should I do something else to help get them going?

Latest posts