blackberry's

hsm5grls

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I planted my black berry bush yesterday. YAY!!!

I know,I Know some of you all are going to tell me I am crazy for planting a black berry bush but I just love black berry's. Where I grew up they were every where. Here in AZ we don't have any and they make me feel like home. Plus you get jam and pie's and syrup. YUM!!!!

miss_thenorth

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Congrats! The only thing I have planted--was my derriere on the icy sidewalk on my way to the barn. Right now I have planted that sore butt on the sofa. I'd much rather be planting blackberry bushes. :th

5azsisters

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
hsm5grls said:
I planted my black berry bush yesterday. YAY!!!

I know,I Know some of you all are going to tell me I am crazy for planting a black berry bush but I just love black berry's. Where I grew up they were every where. Here in AZ we don't have any and they make me feel like home. Plus you get jam and pie's and syrup. YUM!!!!
I wouldn't laugh at you at all. I planted mine last year down along the fence by the creek so it gets water all the time. It went crazy. And it's survived the winter freezes. Looks like it's going to be pretty big this year. I'm training it to take over the split rail fencing.
Congrats and have fun!!!

Jacie

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I too grew up where there were blackberry bushes everywhere - including places we didn't want them :/. In Oregon, the blackberries and wild roses invaded our upper pasture and we'd take the tractor out and pull the bushes with a chain. On the CA coast, they tried to take over our backyard. A nearby creek came down the hill and disappeared under the bushes. Of course, they thrived and aggressively advanced into the neighboring lots. There's no question in my mind now - the application of herbicides we used was very unwise.

Where we tolerated them, I loved to pick the ripe berries and Mom made pies :D!

Here in the interior of the West, a few wild bushes will show up along roadsides mostly. The short growing season and dry months of late summer, totally prevents them from having a crop of berries. Imagine my surprise when neighbors began planting blackberry bushes and harvesting a crop of fruit!! And not the wild blackberries from the coast, they have thornless bushes!!

One friend swears by his Doyle bushes and they are really nice but I think there are others since one neighbor didn't do any special ordering (& doesn't know the variety) and he still gets luscious berries! (I know, because I can reach their trellis from the edge of my own smaller veggie garden . . . ;)

Steve

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
I too grew up where there were blackberry bushes everywhere - including places we didn't want them :/. In Oregon, the blackberries and wild roses invaded our upper pasture and we'd take the tractor out and pull the bushes with a chain. On the CA coast, they tried to take over our backyard. A nearby creek came down the hill and disappeared under the bushes. Of course, they thrived and aggressively advanced into the neighboring lots. There's no question in my mind now - the application of herbicides we used was very unwise.

Where we tolerated them, I loved to pick the ripe berries and Mom made pies :D!
In WA this is a terrible invasive thing that over grows EVERYTHING! Even up trees and over buildings. It's massive undertaking to get rid of the stuff and they have put goats on parts of roads by the freeway to clear the stuff. I cut down hundreds of feet of area every year just to have it all come back. :he

Boy they do taste really good though!

hsm5grls

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
LOL I grew up in Northern CA. Everyone from that area I beleave has a good blackberry story ( Like riding there bike into a blackberry bush, or having to help pull the darn things of the fence, again) that's why they remind me of home. I am thinking that being it is so dry here that they will stay where the water is and :fl not grow turn into a monster, LOL Can't wait for blackberry jam.

hsm5grls

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
:p Thanks Beefy :p LOL

sgtsheart

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
You could always just come visit me once a year. I can't think of an area of fence line anywhere on this farm that doesn't have some blackberries growing on it. Before it was a cattle farm and before it was a chicken farm, it was a blackberry farm.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
hsm5grls, I don't think you are crazy. Up here, the blackberry bushes aren't going anywhere.

I know of one tiny patch that hasn't changed in 40 years. And, the cultivars close to the little garden had a plant die over the 2006-7 winter. That was about 20% of the bramble patch. If this attrition continues, I may need to sneak around on both sides of the trellis to get enuf berries.

"Oh no sir :eek:! I haven't been eating any of those berries :p!"

Steve

Latest posts