Blossom End Rot for the first time

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've never had issues with blossom end rot and this year I've got 2 plants with BER. I dont have a bunch of egg shells so what is the quickest way to get them some calcium?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think the quickest way is to give them milk. Oyster shells take awhile to break down enough for the calcium to become available to the plant.
I've never done this, but my dad used to work powdered milk into the soil around his toms. I've heard of people using whole fluid milk also.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
I think the quickest way is to give them milk. Oyster shells take awhile to break down enough for the calcium to become available to the plant.
I've never done this, but my dad used to work powdered milk into the soil around his toms. I've heard of people using whole fluid milk also.
Isn't that very expensive?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sparkles, are you sure this is not related to your drought? You need moisture in the soil to carry the calcium to the fruit. Blossom End Rot does not mean your soil does not have enogh useable calcium. It means calcium is not getting to the fruit.

Since this is the first time you've ever seen it, I'm thinking it is more related to your weather than a lack of calcium. Mulching (if you haven't) and watering may be the fastest way to get calcium to the fruit. Just don't overwater because that can split the tomatoes and it can cause BEM too.

Editted to add:

Here are a couple of articles from Purdue that might help. The primary cause of Blossom End Rot is too much or too little water. Its not a lack of calcium in the soil.

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/endrottomatoes.html

http://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/BP/BP-184-W.pdf

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have 4 cherokee purples and 4 opalka's in the same 10 x 5 bed. The opalka's have blossom end rot and the cherokee's do not. The BER has gotten better on my opalka's but I still find one or two when I pick. Same bed, same soil, same water.......... :hu

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
hangin'witthepeeps said:
I have 4 cherokee purples and 4 opalka's in the same 10 x 5 bed. The opalka's have blossom end rot and the cherokee's do not. The BER has gotten better on my opalka's but I still find one or two when I pick. Same bed, same soil, same water.......... :hu
My Romas had terrible BER this year, but the Beefsteak (just 2 feet away) were fine. Some varieties just seem to be more susceptible and I hear that the paste tomatoes are the worst.

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I think it IS due to the drought, but all 32 of the tomatoes have had the same amount of water and only 2 plants have BER... We've been running the sprinkler in the morning and evening before and after the sun. We can only run it for about 20 minutes at a time because our house runs on a flowing well and our cistern tanks only hold 300 gallons at a time... which would be fine if I were ONLY watering but we've got showers, dishes, and laundry coming out of that too. I don't direct water with a bucket because our soil is so sandy/dusty water just runs off even with little trenches around each plant.

Latest posts