Blue sweet potatoes (pic)

Kim_NC

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
DH purchased some blue sweet potatoes at one of the farmers markets we attend. Another vendor had them. She's going to bring us some of her tiny ones to save for seed potatoes for next season.

Here's a plate of them, peeled, cubed and ready to be roasted with last night's dinner. It's not quite as clear as I'd like, but the coloring is correct.:

potatoes_sweet_blue.jpg

Edit: Oopppssss, my title said Bluew instead of Blue. LOL

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've got some of those, Kim! But, I'm not sure if I've got any tubers . . .

I got purple Japanese sweet potatoes from California, started them in pots in the greenhouse and set them out, quite late in June. At this point, I don't see any evidence of anything going on below the soil surface . . .

Obviously, this isn't sweet potato country. Often, we've had frost by now. The only other time I've had sweet potatoes was as an ornamental vine ;).

Steve

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sweet potratos aren't a good bet if you don't have a long warm season. They are a sub tropical crop. On Okinawa they depend more on sweet potatos than they do rice. I've never seen so many varieties as they have there.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
OK Kim-lets have the report! They look gorgeous, what did they taste like?? I enjoy growing the ornamental sweet potatoes, but I don't think our season is long enough for the veggie!

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I tried growing garnet sweet potatoes. I pulled up one plant and I do have taters, but they are tiny. Sandhill preservation sells brands specifically for growing in cooler climates and I am going to order some next year. The garnets made for an attractive landscaping plant, but not enough tater growth to bother with in my zone.

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Interesting color for sweet potatoes, never even seen purple sweet potatoes before, but i have seen blue potatoes. Can't wait to harvest my sweet potatoes this will be my first year growing them, the leaves are still green i guess your suppose to wait until the foliage dies back like the regular potatoes.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've never heard of growing sweet potatoes from seed potatoes, all I've ever seen are slips.
I dug some of my sweets a few weeks ago and got a few quite large potatoes but also a truck load of very small ones. I deep fried some of the little guys like french fries but maybe I'll keep the rest for seed.

THANX RICH