Blueberries and Sweet Potatoes in the Landscape! And extra early tomatoes!

Mauldintiger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
DW has approved adding these to the landscape allowing me room for more stuff in the garden and I like it. I have a large back yard that I'm sure I could figure out how to fill up, but she says no way.
Not complaining though, because, overall she appreciates the garden and is a big help when it's time to can and freeze.
75* here today, and it looks like highs of 70* or better for most of the next two weeks. The big boxes have some Bonnie tomatoes in gallon pots that ate blooming. I'm going to get a couple for the garden realizing that I may have to cover them. About all they had in this size was better boy, which is rated at 70 days and I'm guessing these are at about 35 days old in their big pot. They are probably 30" tall and very bushy.
Anyway, I'm buying a couple to try and meet my goal of a full size tomato by May 15 which is 60 days from now, and it's always a good idea to have a couple of BB's around just in case. I'll update this thread as things progress.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, that is quite a goal! Let's hope they aren't shocked when they get transplanted out into the garden.
I had ripe maters at the end of June a couple of years ago, but never earlier than that. Generally, around here, a ripe one by July 4th is the goal.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Blueberries are great in landscapes! They have such a pretty fall color too. Or are the BB you'll be planting an evergreen variety? We plant highbush here.

Mauldintiger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
These are rabbiteye's, 5 "premier" and 3 "bright well" for a pollenator. First time with them, but I'm looking forward to little blue hands on the grandkids!

@so lucky, I'm gonna baby them, cover with agribon and maybe put a couple gallons of hot water under the covers at night. If the weather stays like this, or at least sunnier than last year, I might have a chance. Surely I'll make June 1.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
These are rabbiteye's, 5 "premier" and 3 "bright well" for a pollenator. First time with them, but I'm looking forward to little blue hands on the grandkids!

@so lucky, I'm gonna baby them, cover with agribon and maybe put a couple gallons of hot water under the covers at night. If the weather stays like this, or at least sunnier than last year, I might have a chance. Surely I'll make June 1.
you will never know till you try......gardening is sometime common sense and some mad scientist and some dang going to try thinking out of the box approach...

Mauldintiger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I guess I'm "penny wise and pound foolish", these were almost $45, but if I can get home grown tomatoes in May, on a tomato sandwich with Duke's mayo and white bread, it will be worth it. If it gets cold, and I'm sure it will, I will put a couple gallons of hot water under the cover with them. Forgot to check the soil temp, but I'll do it tomorrow and let you know what it is.
I was only going to get the better bush, but could not resist the Cherokee purple.

image.jpeg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Better Boys are a good choice.

I have Big Beef every year (another "BB" ;)). A friend has had Better Boy, nearly as long. I look at those and wonder "how much different?" Not a lot.

Gotta say that Original Goliath Hybrid will ripen 1 (ONE) tomato about 1 week earlier than Big Beef. Of course, there are smaller varieties like Early Girl that might be 2 weeks ahead of that.

Steve

Mauldintiger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They had the Goliath bush, should have gotten one of those. I have grown the better bush before and they were good. Better boy does well here. I guess I can justify it because the rest of my 30 odd tomatoes I started from seed