blueberries

bunch-a-chickens

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
when would be the best time to plant blueberries so the grow next year? would i plant next year or put them in the ground this winter? and they die out every year, right?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, the leaves fall off in autumn, but the plant as a whole lives from year to year -- it is a shrub.

I'd plant this fall, after the hot part of the summer is over. Put 'em into well-prepared soil, and water regularly for at least the first few months.

If you're buying from a garden center or nursery or whatever, rather than mailorder, take a very critical look at the plant's health though, because an awful lot of potted plants that are left over in September have been so badly abused that they will never grow really 'right'. In particular try ot pull the plant partway out of its pots to see how potbound it is/isn't, and how many of the roots are alive vs dead. Waiting til spring and planting healthy plants would definitely be preferable to putting chronically-underwatered half-dead things in this Fall (if it comes to that choice).

Have fun,

Pat

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Gee, I don't really know... people do not usually start blueberries from seed. I would not be surprised if they require cold-treatement and possibly other conditions to germinate.

You could try it - let some partway rot, rinse the seeds free of the flesh, then plant them in starting medium in a flat or some pots, mulched lightly, and put them somewhere they'll stay out of direct sun and where you won't forget to keep them from drying out too much. I wouldn't expect much til next spring, germination-wise. (That's just a guess - it might be smart to google 'blueberries from seed' in case there are specific instructions available)

I would not expect berries for at least 3+ years.

Buying plants works better ;)

Have fun,

Pat

pennyrose

Sprout
Reaction score
What do you fertilize your blueberries with? We are thinking ours probably could use some this fall. They have been a little small this year, the weather has been rather dry for the past month. That could be why they are small. Thanks

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I don't have any that I have planted . But I sure picked some beautiful ones today...
5713_p1010796b.jpg

they are growing on the west fence line of our horse pasture on a hill slope.. My father's 98 yr old neighbor Glen planted them. They asked me to pick them before the birds got them all. They got half of the picking and I will go back in a couple of days I pick that much more.... :happy_flower
I'll ask Glen maybe he started it from seed??? :tools
He is almost 100 yrs old , so he could tell me if it takes that long from seed .... :gig

coopy

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
pennyrose said:
What do you fertilize your blueberries with? We are thinking ours probably could use some this fall. They have been a little small this year, the weather has been rather dry for the past month. That could be why they are small. Thanks
Becareful what you fertilize them with. I just about burned mine up. I would find out for sure about the chicken poo before I used it.

GardenGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I would compost the chicken poo for a season. My friends put some pig poo in their garden after our other friends finished raising the pigs for the summer and let it set all fall, winter, and spring and then tilled it into the ground. They are having more trouble with their garden this year than any other year and they attribute it to the pig poo not being seasoned properly for a year. They did nothing different, but the plants are struggling and not producing like in the past. And we know it isn't the weather because the rest of us have great harvests going on this year.
Just my 2 cents. ;) I could be totally wrong. :p

Latest posts