Blueberry cuttings

RedClayGardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hello!

My husband would love to grow some of the blueberries his grandmother has in her yard. I know that you can take cutting, soak them, then plant them in sand and peat moss until they grow roots, but where do you cut from on the original plant? Will any old branch do?

If you have any tips or experiences with this I would love your help!

Thanks!

emily

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Now, I know 2 things.
You can do it this time of year being best.
And blueberries are yummy! :lol:

How exactly, I'm unsure.... for a grape vine you cut a good piece that has new leaf buds ready for spring. The more, the better it will take. So get a good piece where a good amount of new growth and good hardy green stem is. That's the best I can do for you! Sorry.

RedClayGardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks vfem!

I will be at her house in a couple of weeks to take a cutting. She has so many huge bushes i could probably take a few. And thanksfor encouraging me to send an envelope into wintersown (I think it was you). The seeds I got were great. And so unusual!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm addicted to wintersown now, I've gotten 4 envelopes of seeds... plus and I sent some in I collected and they sent a thank you card with MORE seeds!

I can't wait to see my yard in the spring... Though I know for a fact I'll be too worn out from planting to enjoy it much.

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
RedClayGardener said:
Hello!

My husband would love to grow some of the blueberries his grandmother has in her yard. I know that you can take cutting, soak them, then plant them in sand and peat moss until they grow roots, but where do you cut from on the original plant? Will any old branch do?

If you have any tips or experiences with this I would love your help!

Thanks!

emily
I would think you could dig out some plants whole and just replant them. I know this is done with raspberries and blackberries in my area.

waldeneffect

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I've recently gotten into starting fruit plants from cuttings. I've had great luck with grapes, but less so with blueberries. Different varieties are much easier or harder to root. The pros actually heat the soil to promote rooting, but I've been trying to root them in a garden bed instead with moderate luck. Out of 100 cuttings which I put in late this winter, about 30 are still alive but they are going to need another year before they can be set out into the garden.

If you want to try them, my advice is...
* Wait to start them until late winter.
* Start a lot so that if even a few make it you'll be happy.
* Read up on it by searching "hardwood cutting" and "blueberry" on the internet
* Consider trying softwood cuttings, which I haven't tried --- waiting until they've leafed out.

Latest posts