Blueberry preserves recipe anyone?

Nubsmum

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I can't wait to try the recipes you all posted. I am picking blues this weekend. I am also getting some raspberries so I will be busy.

I hope to put up blueberry jam, syrup/ice cream topping. Frozen berries and strawberry jam from the berries I just picked and are safe in my freezer right now.

Thanks for all the good ideas. Thanks for stating this thread Gardengirl.

:rose

MrsCountryChick

Leafing Out
Reaction score
blurose said:
I'm gonna type this exactly as in the book and hope I don't run out of room.

SPICED BLUEBERRY PRESERVE

This is a mildly spiced jam, great for breakfast, and marvelous, too, served with wild or domestic fowl or with game. Do not make it with wild huckleberries if it has been a dry summer as the little berries will become like hard pellets that no amount of cooking or aging will soften. Wild berries, if juicy, make a particularly delicious preserve. But you can never go wrong as to texture with cultivated ones.
You will need:
1 quart washed, stemmed and picked-over blueberries
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
Combine ingredients and simmer until the skins are tender and the preserve has reached the desired thickness. Test for thickness by putting a small bit of the boiling jam onto a refrigerated plate and popping it right back into the refrigerator to cool fast. If it's still running all over the plate, simmer the jam awhile longer, then test again. When its thick enough, take it off the stove at once. Pour it into jars and seal them with 2 thin layers of paraffin and a lid. This should give you 4-5 eight-ounce glasses.

Hope you like it. :D
This recipe calls for sealing with paraffin wax, but is it okay to waterbath can also? I don't like using wax & Love canning in jars.

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I don't like to use wax sealing on my jars either, on letters yes, jars of jam--no. I would feel ok processing these recipes in a water bath canner for 10 minutes.

chickaD

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I was going to suggest blueberry rhubarb jam, which we made for the first time this summer (made several batches & really enjoy it), if you can get rhubarb this late in the season...and then I noticed Patandchickens sent you the recipe! It's a nice change, and the rhubarb (free; we grow it) helps extend the berries.
Now I can't wait to try those spiced blueberry jam recipes next year. :ya

DuppyDo

Sprout
Reaction score
Those are some good sounding recipes.. Does anyone think i can replace the sugar with just honey in some of these recipes..?
I have honey from my bee hives and was wondering if i could use all honey making blueberry preserves and omit the sugar...thanks Kevin

chickaD

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Welcome to TEG! :dance
Sorry I don't know the answer to your question; I've only heard that substituting honey for sugar can change how a recipe turns out (that's pretty vague!)...maybe you could do an internet search for jam recipes using honey?

DuppyDo

Sprout
Reaction score
Thanks ChickaD....I have searched a bit, no luck yet...i'll keep looking..:) Thanks for the welcome, i just joined this forum yesterday. Looking forward to all the gardening stuff here and sharing with you folks...

chickaD

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
DuppyDo said:
Thanks ChickaD....I have searched a bit, no luck yet...i'll keep looking..:)
Maybe if you find any promising jam recipes using honey, you could post them on TEG...I'd sure be interested & probably others would too. How neat having your own honey supply - yum! :)

Latest posts