Blueberry Zucchini Jam got 1st place and Best of Show at 4H fair!!!!

dipence71

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
we have been super busy this year with DD13 first year in 4H and she is very excited to have gotten a Best Of Show in her jams!!
4H DD13 did really well for her first year,

Dill Pickles and Zucchini Relish 1st Place
GF Zucchini bread 3rd

Zucchini Blueberry Jam 1st Place and Best in Show

dipence71

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
Congratulations to your daughter di', that's an achievement to be proud of!
Now that she's had such success there'll be no stopping her :) .
Yep she is already plotting on even more things she can enter next year. Look out I think we have a fair addict!!!!!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh how exciting! I love seeing kids do and excel at these things. :) I can't wait to see if I can sign up my little one for 4H. :D

dipence71

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
yes and what busts my bubble :he is when the "parents" are OVER involved and ruin it for the kids that are actually doing the projects and learning themselves :smack , I admit I help but she is learning so I am teaching her as I help but I wont do it for her she has to figure out most of it. Like with her chicken that didn't place because there were sooo many entries and over involved parents doing it all and the kid doesnt know anything about it. Or the ones that "buy" their entries and have NO CLUE what the difference between a bantam and LF or cornish cross, is let alone what kind of bird they have entered or anything about it and are getting fed info just to WIN the show. :somad That just burns me up.
Same with the rabbits grrrr...
She did place 6th on her Buff Brahma Bantam though. :celebrate
Ok off my soap box now... :hide :duc

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's sad isn't it di' when you have wholesome organization like 4-H, intended for kids to learn by doing, and overzealous, competitive parents get involved and defeat the very purpose by doing it all for their kids.
It's so counter productive. Everybody loses, the kids don't learn, and there can be no satisfaction in a prize you didn't earn, and the poor kids who do it right get discouraged by seeing all this.
Parents need to let go of their egos and let their kids succeed on their own merits.
Congratulations again to your daughter, and thankfully there are judges out there who still know real from counterfeit.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Congratulations!! It's awesome that your daughter had so many projects this year, and how great for her to take 1st!! I remember showing my horse in 4h as some of my best memories growing up!! My parents were like you, i did everything to take care of my horse, and they drove me to the show and wished me luck! And gave me some tips, and occasional prodding to get out an dpractice :) but i think the most important thing they did was that they were super proud of me when i did well!!

But i do remember Those Kids, with the wealthy parents and the professionally trained horse. The kids were trained as well, to get on and push the right buttons, instead of figuring it out on their own. I was able to develop my creative problem solving skills, and i'm still applying those lessons today, literally! Going right now to coax a 1700 lb. Draft horse into the barn when she doesnt like the SCARY FLOOR! Big chicken ;)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Congratulations to you and your daughter! :happy_flower I can't wait until mine is old enough to do 4-H, such an exciting program. I asked the guys at the ag extension and they said the kids can start in Cloverbuds at age 7 and 4-H at age 9. I don't know if that's the same everywhere.

Yep, I feel we've got a whole generation of kids who have been failed by their overprotective, overcompetitive parents. Winning certainly isn't everything and there is much to be learned from our mistakes that will help us pull through later in life when things *really* count. I don't know about the ag programs around here, but I know our sports programs (and probably those everywhere) are full of that.

Latest posts