Bog Garden

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've always thought of 'bogs' as being further south than you. Warm humid...you know.
But good luck, I've seen in books small bogs made in container. Maybe an option.
What will your winter bog be like?
I cant wait to see pic

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I don't know how it will work in winter, but the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum has a beautiful bog garden.
Of course, it's also huge.....so hmmmm :idunno

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Cranberries, pitcher plants, some ferns. Some ostrich ferns I saw were planted on top of a heaped mound of peat moss(looks like an ant hill) in the bog. That was cool looking.
I have a bog but haven't altered it's natural state. The predominate plant is sensitive fern which likes wet roots.

Just a note: Bogs are acidic where as fens look like bogs but are alkaline. It would depend on which you would have in terms of what plants to use. Your soil would indicate the pH that you could expect for your wet garden.

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Sylvie said:
Cranberries, pitcher plants, some ferns. Some ostrich ferns I saw were planted on top of a heaped mound of peat moss(looks like an ant hill) in the bog. That was cool looking.
I have a bog but haven't altered it's natural state. The predominate plant is sensitive fern which likes wet roots.

Just a note: Bogs are acidic where as fens look like bogs but are alkaline. It would depend on which you would have in terms of what plants to use. Your soil would indicate the pH that you could expect for your wet garden.
Thanks! :thumbsup

Latest posts