Bok Choy - 1st & Last

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
For healthful stir-fries, start with Asian greens. And, for easy growing, nothing tops bok choy 1st and last during the growing season.

Asian greens just starting inside my hoop house last Spring:

EarlySeason001.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Later in the hoop house (that's a little dill volunteering amongst the greens ;). There were 11 varieties of Asian greens in the the hoop house last year:
EarlySeason020.jpg

Transplants on their way to the garden:

EarlySeason007.jpg

Of course, bok choy can be direct-seeded in the garden. Germination occurs while soil temperatures are still in the 40's. So bok choy is as quick or quicker than lettuce and spinach.

organica042.jpg

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
*drools*

Am planting greens next weekend. This weekend, starting my Solanaceae seeds and herbs. Your greens look mighty tasty there...just need some green onion, snow peas, canned water chestnuts and some Thai sweet chili sauce.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you!!

Below is the end result. You need to know that there was ice on these veggies when they were harvested . . . . . . in October!

That's what I mean by "1st & last" - after the Spring crop of greens was long gone and things like snap beans were growing in their place another sowing of bok choy seed was made in August. They really had a slow go of it after the weather cooled and frosts came. But, there was still one last harvest for stir-fry!

Just a bit of encouragement :D .

Steve

harvest040.jpg

adoptedbyachicken

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Oh man, now I'm headed back to the seed store.....

Ya, I forgot about bok choy, I love that stuff. I wonder if it would do well in my sun window in the early season (like now) so I can have something green....

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
And it is good for you!

Here's another study report from Medical News Today today (!) linking a diet with plenty of cruciferous vegetables and cancer prevention. And, these researchers were studying people who enjoyed a lot of bok choy, specifically!

Steve

chickhamm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
WOW, it looks delicious!!

It looks like you direct seeded in the hoop house, how did you transplant them to the big garden? I have a great place im getting ready for some greens, i cant wait.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
chickhamm said:
WOW, it looks delicious!!

It looks like you direct seeded in the hoop house, how did you transplant them to the big garden? I have a great place im getting ready for some greens, i cant wait.
Transplanting is easy, chickhamm. Bok choy is direct seeded both in the hoop house and in my garden. Then moved around after the 1st true leaves show up.

I just loosen the soil and pull them gently out of the ground. Since these are baby bok choy they don't require much room to grow so the plants go into a shallow drill and the soil is firmed around them. After a few days, they are off and running.

This isn't the greatest picture (but then the ones above aren't either :). Just to show the rows of transplants right after they'd been moved out of the hoop house into a garden bed:

EarlySeason024-1.jpg

Latest posts