bok choy suggestions?

freshfood

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
HI,

We grew bok choy as our experiment this year - it's up, and ready to use, but what do I do with it, besides put it in Oriental stir fry dishes? We sauteed it with garlic and it was reasonably good, but I know there must be other ways to cook it (or not!).

Anyone?

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
if you like spicy, probiotics and fantastic ...you could make some kimchi? here is a good recipe for Napa but just substitute your Bok Choy :) http://www.jasonunbound.com/kimchi.html

soooo good for you!!!!

I am going to make some this weekend with this method and a mix of garden greens

I just love kimchi and find it a fantastic way to preserve the bounty of greens in the garden

ps you can scale this recipe down to any size you want

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
This is my favorite. The dressing and crunchy topping are great on other salads, too!

Cabbage Salad
1 head cabbage or pak choy
1 bunch green onion, sliced
1 pkg. Ramen noodles
cup sunflower seeds
2 T olive oil
cup almonds
cup sugar
cup red wine vinegar
3 T soy sauce
cup olive oil
pinch of salt

Chop cabbage, slice onion. Fry noodles, almonds and sunflower seeds in butter. Mix remaining ingredients for dressing. Add to salad and mix well.

Notes: I quadruple the crunchy topping and store in fridge for later use instead of croutons. With the seeds, nuts and olive oil, it has a little more going for it nutritionally and is a real attraction for kids with their salad. Also, the salad dressing can last for probably about 3 of these salads, not just one.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It's good in fritattas, or sauteed with garlic as a side dish, or slivered and put in soups. Really anything you would do with stronger-flavored greens like chard works pretty well with bok choy.

Have fun,

Pat, who in fact had a bok choy and onion fritatta for dinner tonite :)

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
This is my favorite. The dressing and crunchy topping are great on other salads, too!

Cabbage Salad
1 head cabbage or pak choy
1 bunch green onion, sliced
1 pkg. Ramen noodles
cup sunflower seeds
2 T olive oil
cup almonds
cup sugar
cup red wine vinegar
3 T soy sauce
cup olive oil
pinch of salt

Chop cabbage, slice onion. Fry noodles, almonds and sunflower seeds in butter. Mix remaining ingredients for dressing. Add to salad and mix well.

Notes: I quadruple the crunchy topping and store in fridge for later use instead of croutons. With the seeds, nuts and olive oil, it has a little more going for it nutritionally and is a real attraction for kids with their salad. Also, the salad dressing can last for probably about 3 of these salads, not just one.
I just made this with bok choy and baby kale that a dear friend brought over from her garden. I loved it!! I had to use sesame seeds in lieu of the sunflower seeds, as it was all I had, but it was still yummy! :drool

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I dink around with the seeds, too, and usually add in sesame, which I forgot to mention :) Last time I didn't have either sesame or sunflower so stuck in poppy seeds. The kids thought it was loaded with bugs (flea beetles?) :D

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I like it steamed with toasted sesame seeds & a dipping sauce of Japanese Soy sauce, wasabi & Toasted Sesame Oil & chopped garlic chives, to go with it......delicious! :D :frow

:rose Hattie :rose

TillinWithMyPeeps

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hattie the Hen said:
I like it steamed with toasted sesame seeds & a dipping sauce of Japanese Soy sauce, wasabi & Toasted Sesame Oil & chopped garlic chives, to go with it......delicious! :D :frow

:rose Hattie :rose
:drool

Latest posts