Bonide?? Need info on use, fruit trees and chickens

dipence71

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
can this be use on fruit trees in chicken run where chickens are???

I know there is a chemical that doesnt bother chickens but cant remember which it is and the Japanese Beetles are tearing up my fruit trees and grape vines

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, Bonide is a brand name. What is the chemical name of the product? It should be on the can/jar.

dipence71

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Section II - Hazardous Ingredients/Identity
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Hazardous Components (Specific Chemical Identity: Common Name(s) OSHA PEL ACGIH TLV Other Limits % (Optional)
Captan CAS#133-06-2 11.76%
Related Deriviates .24%
Malathion CAS#121-75-5 6.00%
Carabaryl (Sevin) CAS#63-25-2 0.30%
*Contains Petroleum Distillate

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't use any of that around chickens, dipence71.

Here is North Carolina State University recommending Malathion & Carbaryl to kill Japanese Beetles (click). And, the active ingredients in the Bonide pesticide are used for vegetable & fruit crops but I can't really believe that they would be something to spray on chickens or where chickens could get to a sprayed area!

Here is some governmental information on Malathion (click) and,
here is information on Carbaryl (click)

Looking that over wouldn't make me at all inclined to have those insecticides around chickens.

You may notice that the NCSU information on Japanese beetles also says that Spinosad can be used. It is "less effective" than the others but, at least, it is used on dogs for flea control and is now used for head lice. Just guessing here ---- but, that doesn't sound like it would be toxic to chickens. I think talking with your local Cooperative Extension office would be a good idea about what to do, however.

www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/index.html

Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is nothing in that label that I would put in or near myself, family or food products. I think neem will kill adult JB. If you use milky spore it will kill the larvae before they become adults.
dipence71 said:
Section II - Hazardous Ingredients/Identity
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Hazardous Components (Specific Chemical Identity: Common Name(s) OSHA PEL ACGIH TLV Other Limits % (Optional)
Captan CAS#133-06-2 11.76%
Related Deriviates .24%
Malathion CAS#121-75-5 6.00%
Carabaryl (Sevin) CAS#63-25-2 0.30%
*Contains Petroleum Distillate

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't believe your chickens are allowing those beetles to live. Mine go crazy for them. If we aren't talking about too many trees- I would hand pick into a container of water and feed to the chickens. JB season is a favorite of my girls. When they see me coming with the container, they go nuts!

dipence71

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!! I have several trees and about a bazillion JB, so the hand picking is not and option with the numbers of JB's I have. The majority of the JB are up to high for the chickens my trees are getting fairly tall except for one of the pear treas and it seems relatively clean thanks to the chickens lol. The ones that are within there reach they eat LOL....
I just hate the thought of loosing my fruit and trees to those beetles.

Latest posts