Book on plants

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
For Xmas DD wants a book on plants. Assuming landscaping plants with as much info as possible. Plant encyclopedia. Suggestions?

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I actually signed up a few years ago (5?) for an "irresistable deal" from the National Home Garden Club. They were going to send me a free book, and some seeds, etc. but of course it was a trap in that you were then enrolled to get a new book every month, which you had to pay for. But you could cancel anytime. So i thought "why not? I'll just cancel right after i get my free one!" but i liked them so much, i stayed a member for a while. Each month was a theme, and they're very "magazine-like" books with glossy pics and tips and tidbits in little boxes around the pages. They are hardback though, and i still use them for reference. Especially the Perrenials one, which is like a plant encyclopedia. Not exhaustive by any means, but a really good introduction. Not sure whether they have anything like that anymore, but might be suitable.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
The most comprehensive book I have on my shelves is the American Horticultural Society's A to Z Encyclopedia of Garden Plants. It's a huge book with over 1000 pages and a bit spendy, I think mine was about $70 eight years ago.

There are other books that are titled "A-Z", but the AHS version is the best reference. It's one of the references that nurserymen use.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dang Thistle did it again and was thinking the same thing. Yeppers, those a to z books are great. every nursery person should have one at least in the office.

Time life used to make a simple enjoyable series with titles such as flowering shrubs.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
The most comprehensive book I have on my shelves is the American Horticultural Society's A to Z Encyclopedia of Garden Plants. It's a huge book with over 1000 pages and a bit spendy, I think mine was about $70 eight years ago.

There are other books that are titled "A-Z", but the AHS version is the best reference. It's one of the references that nurserymen use.
That's a good one! I got mine at a garage sale for a buck! :p

The Horticultural Society's Encyclopedia of Gardening might be another good one.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
TheSeedObsesser said:
thistlebloom said:

The Horticultural Society's Encyclopedia of Gardening might be another good one.
Want to sell it? I'd give you $2, double your money......:)

Found used copies for $20 on eBay, guess better get it ordered.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
TheSeedObsesser said:
thistlebloom said:

Want to sell it? I'd give you $2, double your money......:)

Found used copies for $20 on eBay, guess better get it ordered.
If you want it and are willing to make the drive, you can have it for free. Especially if it's going to a younger person who's just getting into it. :)

I don't know when the best time to come would be though.

Latest posts