Botanical pronunciation guide?

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I am looking for a botanical pronunciation guide.
My sister had a great book that she picked up at a yard sale, but since lent it out and that was the end of it.
It had the older key that was easy to read. For instance, Campanula would be kam-PAN-yew-luh, instead of internet symbols we don't recognize.
An audio version would also be great.

Anyone recommend a source? It needs to be portable for a workshop in the field, so looking up each plant online won't work.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
These sort of things interest me, Sylvie . . . in an academic sort of way. As a hearing-impaired person, I learn to pronounce new words with great difficulty. So :rolleyes:, it is becoming all academic.

I am guessing that you need an online source (if you want the audio) and you have a mobile device for web access. Or, do you want a disc? I don't know about those.

Here are 2 online sources: one that I came across and one that was recommended:

Fine Gardening

Michael Charters, Calflora

I hope those help.

Steve

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have a small book thats called "The Pronouncing Dictionary of Plant Names" It does have the easy to read keys. Here is the info on it:

American Nurseryman Publishing Co.
800-621-5727

amerinursery.com

Joan

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
In both botany and biology there is commonly accepted usage but they purposely avoided having official pronunciations so that those speaking different languages would not have trouble with pronunciation.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I can understand wanting to pronounce things the way other people do.

HOWEVER, there is no actual right/wrong, just convention, and for an awful lot of names there is more than one commonly-used pronunciation.

So, really, as I always told my students in Aquatic Invertebrates and other biology classes, it is fine to just pick a pronunciation and say it boldly and confidently and not worry about it. However you choose to pronounce a name, rest assured there are some other people in the world saying it the same way. If someone questions or corrects you, just smile happily and say "well, that's what *I* learned to call it".

;)

Pat

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Good to know, since I have been recently corrected on my pronounciation of Peony but then heard someone else say it exactly the way I do and I didn't know who was right or wrong anymore.

Latest posts