bought blackberries

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
heb had them for .98 for a little pkg. I bought enough to make a little jelly. I want to make jelly. I think I can. i'll be thinking of all you that grow berries & other fruits.
I also bought a few peaches. when they ripen, i'm going to make a cobbler. :throw

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
You go girl! You have to post a picture of your jelly! The last batch of dandelion jelly I made did not set. :he But remember, there is no fail in making jelly. I have some delicious dandelion pancake syrup! :lol:

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Bj, peaches won't ripen any more after they are picked. They will soften, which many people consider ripening. Look at the skin of the peach. Is it yellow or white? If so, it's ripe. Don't worry about the red color, that is caused by the sun hitting the peach and has zero bearing on determining ripeness. Peaches are normally pretty firm (to the point of crisp) when picked. They will soften in a few days. However, for cobbler, I would use them now, while still good and firm. They will soften considerably in the dutch oven (if that's what you are using). Do you have a cobbler recipe? If not, I have a pretty good one.

Bay, I sometimes make grape pancake syrup. :lol: :lol: In fact, I think I still have a couple of jars from a failed batch last year...er, not failed...I mean the syrup batch :gig

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
thanks monty! I didn't know they wouldn't ripen more. I also didn't know to use them when firm for the cobbler. YES PLEASE give the cobbler recipe.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
went to food lion on the way home today and swung by the produce section had a good laugh pints of blackberries 4.95....

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here is my favorite peach cobbler recipe. Note during baking that you MUST turn the dutch oven 1/4 turn every 10 minutes and also turn the lid 1/4 turn every 10 minutes. This allows for even cooking and is very, very important:

INGREDIENTS

Batter:
1 1/2 c flour
1 1/2 c milk
pinch of salt
1 c white sugar
1 c brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
4tsp baking powder

Filling:
1tsp lemon juice
1tsp lemon zest
1 c margarine
4 c sliced, fresh peaches
1 c sugar

PREPARATION
Sift together flour, salt, cinnamon and baking powder. Mix in batter sugars.

Heat 20 pieces of charcoal until white. Place dutch oven over 12 pieces of charcoal evenly distributed. Melt 1 c butter in the bottom of the dutch oven. Mix the milk with the dry ingredients. Pour the batter over the butter. Do not stir! Pour the peaches mixed with 1 c sugar over the batter. Do not stir! Cover the dutch oven with the lid. Evenly distribute 18 charcoals on the lid. Bake for 40 minutes, turning the oven turn one way and the lid turn the opposite way every 10 minutes. Move the dutch oven off of the coals underneath it. Continue to cook with the top coals for 20 more minutes or until brown (adding a few more coals if needed).

The peaches will migrate down into and under the batter as it cooks. Trust me on this.

Enjoy!

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ridgerunner said:
A year or two back, VFEM posted a way to redo a failed jelly batch if you really want jelly instead of syrup. Its probably on her blog.
I have a method for re-setting failed jelly batches, but it doesn't always work, and can make the jelly too sweet. A few jars of grape syrup in the cupboard never go to waste :D

Latest posts