Brandywine tomatoes

Gonzo & The Peeps

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I ordered Brandywine tomatoe seeds from Park Seed Co. Will these be easy to grow and care for?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Gonzo & The Peeps said:
I ordered Brandywine tomatoe seeds from Park Seed Co. Will these be easy to grow and care for?
I've had no problem growing them, they were absolute monsters of a tomato plant compared to my other tomatoes. I gave it some extra staking them my other plants as well.

nittygrittydirtdigger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have grown them for two seasons. They got huge and had ample fruits, but mine took over 100 days from transplant. This was in an area with pretty warm summers, usually over 90 degrees. Ample water and good soil, too. They had great taste, just wanted to mention the lengthy time to get ripe fruit.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gonzo, where are you located/zone#? Brandywines are one of my absolute favorite tomatoes. The only thing is that they need a long growing season to produce their enormous and beautiful fruit.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Brandywine lover! :frow The bulk of my tomatoes this year will be Brandywines. They are a large, sweet, old-fashioned tomato, not to mention a heritage variety. They seem to be pretty hardy and resistant to typical tomato blights and diseases.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've grown brandywines for the last 2 years, and have had mixed luck with them. They do take FOREVER to produce, and I have had tons of problems with them cracking. Not that that keeps me from eating them, mind you. :drool

Janos&Jen

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've got my usual beefsteaks, grapes, and roma's. I added the brandywine this year so I don't have them all ready at once! I love them but I can't eat them all at once.

AngieChick

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I am growing them and romas this year. DH loves them on sandwiches and they make a wonderful sauce when included in with the romas.

I didn't have a problem growing them before, they do get big and you need to make sure that their water is consistent.

Ariel301

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I grow them, and I will also agree that they take a really long time to produce. I first tried them in Colorado and it was October before they started making tomatoes...needless to say they got frozen before they got ripe. Here in Arizona they are doing well for me. I started mine indoors in pots in January, and now in March they are still under a foot tall. (They should be a bit bigger, but they weren't getting quite enough light--still, they are not too far behind where they would be normally) They are very slow growers, but have a wonderful taste when you do get fruit. I definitely recommend starting them indoors during the winter if you can. The earlier you can start them, the earlier you will get your tomatoes.

Latest posts